Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 06 honda shadow areo 750 just got some hard chrome pipes. i was told i have to jet the bike anyone know what size jet i should use.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
caseyphill said:
i have an 06 honda shadow areo 750 just got some hard chrome pipes. i was told i have to jet the bike anyone know what size jet i should use.
If you buy a jet kit it will come with instructions on installing the kit and which jets to use. Jetting doesn't only mean changing out one jet, different bikes are different on some,

You have to change the main jets,

And always the slide needles,

On some the kit comes with a drill bit or two and with one of them you will drill out the slide lift holes found in the bottom of the slides.

On some you have to change the slide springs,

Some require the pilot jet to be changed,

Some require de-snorkeling the breather box.

The minimum I've seen is to change the main jets and needles.

Some are going to tell you that you really don't HAVE to rejet, but I'm going to say this, your bike came from the factory in need of rejetting.
MarkC

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm in the same situation. I have an 05 Aero and I just put on some Cobra SlashDown Pipes without the baffels in them and a K& N filter. When I ride and get up to around 45 in 2nd gear and let off the throttle I get no popping at all. I always thought this was a sign of needing to be rejetted?? It has a slight hesitation in the the throttle when I take off but usually goes away when the bike really warms up. Could I have possiblly gotten a bike that doesn't need to be rejetted from the factory?? I can't belive that. Also where are there any instructions about removing the snorkle in the air-box. I've seen the one on SA750.com but that's for the Ace so I'm guessing it's a different set-up. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
PDS said:
I'm in the same situation. I have an 05 Aero and I just put on some Cobra SlashDown Pipes without the baffels in them and a K& N filter. When I ride and get up to around 45 in 2nd gear and let off the throttle I get no popping at all. I always thought this was a sign of needing to be rejetted?? It has a slight hesitation in the the throttle when I take off but usually goes away when the bike really warms up. Could I have possiblly gotten a bike that doesn't need to be rejetted from the factory?? I can't belive that. Also where are there any instructions about removing the snorkle in the air-box. I've seen the one on SA750.com but that's for the Ace so I'm guessing it's a different set-up. Thanks for the help!
There are three circuits in your carb, Idle, Mid range and wide-open throttle, that use three different jets, decel popping occurs when the idle circuit is not rich enough. Has no affect on the other two circuits and if they are running lean, too lean you can do real damage, but the bike may run like a scalded cat anyway. Doesn't mean it's not running to lean and consequently hot.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
PDS said:
I mentioned De-snorkleing only because SOME bikes require it, I have NO idea if any of the Honda's do?? The Suzuki LC1500's do! and I've heard of others.
Signs of the need to rejet also differ from bike to bike, decel popping is thought to be a little to lean pilot circuit, sometimes you may still have that problem after a rejet, but if so it can usually be adjusted out with the air mixture screw.
Many folks just can tell that their bikes would be better off rejetted, I mean it starts okay, The plugs look okay, it idles good. So why do I need to rejet??
Rejetting, can take wasted fuel from here and move it over there. The bike might be okay in Mid-range, but not so good at the top end of things, or the other way around. Rejetting CAN improve the overall power curve of a bike, make it more well rounded. It can also help improve bulky throttle response (the time the engine actually responds to the given throttle) Some bikes rejetting does more than others, but most of the Shadow owners that have rejetted noticed a improvement.
MarkC

·
Banned
28 Posts
here is a link for you. it lists what other have done for rejetting settings

http://logcabinonalake.net/

another link to show what's involved in rejetting.

http://students.uww.edu/kolfftd12/rejet/rejet.htm

i rejetted my 06 aero before Christmas and i am very happy with the results. alot better throttle response and seems to have alot of get up and go. with the dyno jet kit i got a free dyno run and once the weather warms some i plan on getting it done so i can tell you exactly what the gains were.

i replaced the exhaust, added k&n filter and removed the snorkel.

hope this helps
bill

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for all the info, guys. billfitt - great links with lots of helpful information. Thanks again!

G

·
0 Posts
PDS said:
I just put on some Cobra SlashDown Pipes without the baffels in them and a K& N filter.
Both of those items each make your bike leaner. Unless you live at high altitude (which makes the jetting richer), I'd say you're running way too lean. You may think it's running ok, but it surely isn't.

Your bike will run smoother, have more power, start easier, and last longer if you rejet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I did my brother's '04 Aero 750. He has the Hard Krome K-2's on it.
I used the largest jet in the Dynojet kit and also did the air cleaner modification. Just follow the instructions that come with the kit and set the needle in the grove they suggest.
This worked out perfect on his bike. The spark plugs run a light tan color and the bike runs great.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Installed the jet kit today. The only problem I had was with the air-fuel screw. It said to lightly tighten until snug then turn out 2 turns. I could never tell when the screw was snug. The tool that came with the Dyno-jet kit didn't seem to fit well. It just seemed to keep turning and turning. I kept looking at the shape of the screw to see how much it was turning. When I first fired it up, it idled alot lower and when I gave it some throttle it sputtered bad. So I took it apart again and turned the air-fuel screw another half turn(I think) and it sounded and acted alot better. The only thing that has me concerned is not really knowing how open that screw is. When I took it out for a test run it ran fine. There was no more hesitation in the throttle anymore like before. Not too hard of a job. Took about 2 hours. Also did the snorkle mod. Tomorrow I'll take her out for an extended run and see how she really acts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts