Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To be fair, I did do some searching before posting this. and I had intended to put this in tech, but I need to follow rules :)

The 89 11 that I bought from my dad had a straight pipe conversion done to it before he bought it. He thinks that if the jets were redone at the same time they were done wrong.

Mind you, I have ZERO experience with 2 wheel carbs. and little with 4, but what I can tell you it that it likes to die when I give it throttle from stop. and the amount of backfiring is considerably high.

the backfiring is very bad when gear braking. in every gear.

The carb was recently cleaned and the plugs are new (dad re-did them before I took it)

honestly I really dont care for the loudness in the first place but it is what it is.

I have a shop and owners manual- is the jet issue worth me tackling as a novice?
for that matter is it definately the jet issue?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Just for clarity is it backfiring or popping very loudly?

May be an Air/Fuel screw fix if it's pops.

Also, do you know if your carb bowl floats are level and set? If not they won't allow enough fuel into the bowl if set the wrong way.

I bent the tang on mine to allow a little extra, ever so slight bend on each float and set same.

Also just as an extra ingredient for the pot, what do you idle at once warm? I'm sure other more experienced guys will chip in and help you :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.