Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...
I intend to make a road trip this week. I live in Colorado Springs, CO. Elevation 6,100 feet roughly. I'm riding to Phoenix, AZ. Elevation roughly 1000 feet. I was told that I should rejet my bike before making the trip so as not to destroy the motor. With that being said, I'm not a mechanic, so I am not entirely sure how to do this. I was told at a lower elevation my bike will run much more lean so I need to re-jet it to make it run a bit more rich at my current altitude.

I have a 1994 Shadow 1100... I'm not sure if it's a spirit/ace/aero/ whatever else kinds there are. I have taken off the mufflers and am running straight pipes and they're kind of short. I've been informed that this won't cause any real damage to my motor but I have some popping on decel and was told that re-jetting would also take care of that.

I understand that the jets are what controls the amount of fuel being mixed with the oxygen in the carb, but that is about the extent of my knowledge. I can't tell what size jets the owners manual says I'm supposed to have because I don't know if I have a VT1100C or a VT1100C2.

Basically I need to know if I need to re-jet and if so what area of jets should I get? 155-185? I just don't know.

If anyone would be willing to help me figure this out. Preferably with the quickness, I'd be much obliged.

[email protected] for quicker correspondence if you are so inclined. I'm not able to check the forums as much as I'd like and I can check my email on my phone.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
DO NOT REJET. Carbs are usually set a little richer at high altitude. If you were going to STAY at 1000 permanatley you might need to rejet. For the trip the most you might need to do is turn the pilot screws in 1 turn. I would not adjust anything. With the heat in Phoenix, running a little rich might be a good thing. Bike will run cooler.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Any tips on how I can find out if I have an ace/saber/spirit etc
If you post your bike’s 17 digit VIN, I will look it up for you when I get back on here. Replace the last three digits with XXX so that no one will have all of your VIN.
The VIN is on the steering head, title, insurance card, and registration.
Example… 1HD1GHV112Y310xxx

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
The VIN belongs to a VT1100C’94 SHADOW 1100.
It is a California model. It was made in Honda’s Ohio plant.
It is not an Ace, Saber, or Spirit. Just a Shadow 1100.

97 was the first year for the Spirit.
95 was the first year for the ACE.
98 was the first year for the ACE Tourer.
98 was the first year for the Aero.
2000 was the first year for the Sabre.

My Honda Identification Guide covers 1959 thru 2000, so I can’t tell you about any models after 2000. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
It means it has a charchol canister, otherwise ALL else is the same. ALL US models have smog stuff, California just has more.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.