Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 2000 Honda shadow 750 ace!! I bought a cheap set of pipes on eBay and I haven’t done any jetting to the bike yet but I’m wondering if anyone can suggest a good jetting to go with? I have the pipes open right now with no baffles and it runs good but it probably needs to be jetted I’m assuming. I live in the mountains and my elevation is 790’. I’m pretty new to jetting but I’d like to get this bike running nice and crisp! Can anyone help?

Attachments

·
Registered
03 750 ACE / Michigan
498 Posts
I would put fresh plugs in it and run them for a while. Then pull them out and they'll tell you what the carbs need. If the pipes are all that has been changed you might not need much. I have an 03 750 Ace with Cobra drag pipes (except I have baffles in) with stock intake, and stock jetting is fine. I'm just a little on the lean side, but old school thinking is "lean is mean" and I've always preferred a carb to be slightly lean. The bike still runs cool enough and the plugs are a nice tan color.

Anyway, run some fresh plugs and then read 'em.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,703 Posts
You need to jet when you need to jet ie not just because open pipes. You may also find that the sound from open pipes becomes (nice word: bothersome) so consider baffles. Unfortunately the VT750 with straight pipes is one of the worst sounds I have heard and one fellow I know has no riding buddies due to the bothersome. Probably helps to hate your neighbors also.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Rules of thumb.
  • More open exhaust = better breathing = more air, so more fuel is required, larger jets.
  • Higher elevation = less dense air, less fuel is required, smaller jets. (790 feet isn't much as far as this goes)
  • These bikes tend to be pretty lean from the factory. larger jets.
  • CV carbs are pretty adaptive on their own, that's what the CV diaphram/ piston buys for you. no action required.

First thing to ask is what is stock jetting, and what jetting does your bike have now? You can answer this, we can't.
Did it show any signs of lean or rich running before the change? After the change? You can answer this, we can't.
What was the fuel efficiency before the change, ... after the change? You know, we don't.

In my opinion, there's way too many variables to get any useful advice from a forum, beyond what you got already.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You need to jet when you need to jet ie not just because open pipes. You may also find that the sound from open pipes becomes (nice word: bothersome) so consider baffles. Unfortunately the VT750 with straight pipes is one of the worst sounds I have heard and one fellow I know has no riding buddies due to the bothersome. Probably helps to hate your neighbors also.
Probably a good thing all
My buddies have loud bikes then lol. I got a buddy with a Texas chopper and his bike shoots flames!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I like the sound for the price I paid! I was expecting the pipes to be bigger around but their not horrible. It is crazy loud without the baffles but I find with the baffles it sounds like a tractor lol. I just want it to be jetted right so I can get maximum performance out of it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts