Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,
I have a 2002 ACE that I bought used. The bike has aftermarket drag pipes, and the stock airbox. I want to install a hypercharger. I understand that I would need to rejet. I don't know if the previous owner rejetted or not when he installed the pipes. As I understand it, if it has not been previously rejetted I would need to spend $80 or so for a jet kit, but if it has been rejetted previously I may need to just change to different sized jets (for $5 or so.) My question is: BEFORE I go tearing into the carbs, is there a way to tell if my bike has been rejetted? Alternately, is there a way to tell with a minimal amount of teardown?
Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
628 Posts
Hi Scott,

I don't think there is any way to tell for sure without a teardown. The expensive part of a jet kit is the needles. The stock needles only have one position for the e-clip, the dynojet needles have 4 or 5 possible positions. That would be the best indicator that it's been rejeted. The DJ needles also have a different taper, but unless you're comparing them side by side with stock needles, you probably won't be able to tell the difference.

I believe the jets you'll need for the HC are 134/138 front/rear. They're only a couple bucks each direct from dynojet. While you're in there, you may want to consider replaceing the stock #40 slow jets with #42s. That will richen up the idle and low end without having to have the idle air bleed screws loosened to the point they're almost falling out.

I rejetted my bike 2 1/2 years ago, and it's worked out well. I did the "bean" mod to the intake, and gutted the stock pipe, and am running 128/132 main jets. The bike averages > 55 mpg and runs very well.

If you haven't already, check out http://www.sa750.com . Lots of info there for the 750ACE.

Good luck!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had the same problem, used bike unkown what was done. You will have to pull the carb and look inside. I found too rich of a main installed, swapped them out thanks to a forum member having the correct size. I had to pull them 2 times to get the mix right. It runs great now. Just take your time!!!!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, great bike by the way shroomhead; I like the clear lenses though I have smoke lenses on mine. Yes I have been to SA750.com, it is a great site. That's where I first learned about the belt drive conversion (expensive, but I definitly recommend it.) Anyway, SA750 has instructions for a 4 degree timing mod. What is the purpose of this mod? Has anyone done this and regretted it?

thanks again,
Scott

·
Registered
628 Posts
Thanks for the compliment :)

silvershadow55 said:
That's where I first learned about the belt drive conversion (expensive, but I definitly recommend it.)
I hope it continues to work for you. I have heard of a few problems with it.

silvershadow55 said:
Anyway, SA750 has instructions for a 4 degree timing mod. What is the purpose of this mod? Has anyone done this and regretted it?

thanks again,
Scott
Doing the mod advances the timing 4 to 6 degrees, giving you a bit more power. Think of it as a poor man's Dyna 3000 ignition module, sorta... All it costs is an oil change and either a new gasket or sealant, depending on the year of your bike. I did it, then put it back to stock after I got the Dyna 3000. A big difference between the Dyna and the timing mod is that the timing mod advances the timing across the board, for all rpm's. The Dyna actually changes the curve, advancing the timing only in certain rpm ranges. The timing mod does work, and is reversable.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again! What problems did you hear of with the belt drive? I just put it on a couple months ago and have not ridden much yet.

·
Registered
628 Posts
2 main issues:

1) The way the front pulley attached to the transmission shaft was iffy. There have been posts about it coming loose and destroying the splines on the shaft. Supposedly Scootworks has fixed this.

2) The belt can ratchet (skip) unless the tension is kept tight.

3) (for me...) The ratio between the pulleys is like installing a 36t rear sprocket. Too low for me. I know some folks here really like their 37t, or even 36t sprockets. I have a 38t, but would not want any less unless I only rode on the interstate. Just me. :)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again, and you are right about the low ratio, that's part of the reason I want to give her a little more oomph...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts