Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys on my 84 shadow the fuel pump relay went bad so I jumpered it. Bike runs now but really lacks power. Could this be because I jumpered the relay?

Also I used a car battery to jump start it ( car not running) and the ign box under the seat started to smoke. I charged the battery and tried again without the car battery and the bike fired up and ran fine. Could this be my loss of power.
The bike barely will start off from a stop

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
revs....the bike ran great, lots of power untill the whole relay going bad. i have brand new clutch discs in it. and like at hwy speeds i have to go wide open to very slowly get up to speed

·
Registered
325 Posts
Pull your plug wires at each plug and visually confirm you are still getting a healthy spark for every plug (after the box smoking incident ;)). If so then it has to be a gas issue, needing it and not getting it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Yeah, if you fried one spark box, then the engine will “run” and the non-running cylinder will still force air out the exhaust. (one box for each cylinder) If both cylinders are running you should feel HOT exhaust coming out. Checking for spark is the only certain way. If you are not getting spark on either front or back cylinder...bad box. Swap the boxes and check for spark again, if it switches cylinders (non-spark) then this confirms it is that box (RIP).

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok thanks i would assume that this box is totally SOL because smoke was rolling out from under my seat....so yeah i'll bet its toast :/

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Loosing a fuel relay and an ignition module at the same time does not sound normal it sounds like your voltage regulator may not be working either and over volting everything, check the voltage at the battery with the engine running it should be around 14.7 volts DC.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts