Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally went and sync'ed my carbs today using a homemade monomenometater :p , and I must say that it was a real eye opener on the post-sync checkride. I was simply astounded at how much better it was! The throttle response alone was worth the effort, but it runs much smoother too. I did have a little trouble at first trying to get it right, but in the end it worked out well. That is one sensitive little screw! Tiny adjustments are all thats needed. Anyone thinking of doing it, should.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Right on, glad you got it synched. Yes, a noticeable improvement!

To me, the hardest part was getting too the synch screw and then something that would fit it enough, at that angle, to turn it to make the adjustments :twisted:

·
Registered
457 Posts
AngryHatter said:
Manometer?
It measures the Man's thing :!: :lol:

Just kidding :!:

It shows the leveling between two carbs using the carb's own vacuum. If one carb is not the same as another carb, it is not sych'd.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Berrier, just do a search on "sync", and tons of stuff comes up, lots of links with pics too.

I was a little nervous about screwing it up, but it really was not hard to do. As far as removing the tank, I just removed the bolts and lifted it up and back. I put a can of Flitz metal polish under it to hold it up while I turned the screw. I have an 1100 Spirit, and all you need to do is shut the engine off and turn the throttle grip wide open and the screw turns upward for access. Easy-peasy!!

It was a bit time consuming, because I would make a change and let the engine idle for a few minutes to observe any change. Once I was happy with the levels at idle, I'd rev it up to about 1/3 to 1/2 throttle and check again. This usually made the levels change a bit, and it was back to the screw for an adjustment... a TINY adjustment! that screw is VERY sensitive.

It took a bit of chasing the levels, but I finally got it to where it is dead even at idle and about 1/2" off at higher rpm's.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Dice said:
....To me, the hardest part was getting too the synch screw and then something that would fit it enough, at that angle, to turn it to make the adjustments :twisted:
Same here. Gotta use a super long flat blad screwdriver. Simple enough to do if you can reach that screw....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In my opinion, maybe shelling out the money for the Honda tool would be a good idea. I know that you don't have to sync carbs often, but if I dont have to remove the seats and tank, it's worth it. With the tool, it's a five minute job.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.