Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Motorcycle only checkpoints are blatantly unconstitutional and you should be actively pursuing legal action against them in your city or state..or are you just going to roll over and give up your rights as an American citizen?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Can we claim that we're being profiled? :wink:

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
404 Posts
If it will keep one drunken idiot on a bike from killing someone, I am all for it...
Yes why not punish everyone for the idiocy of the few! That is the new American way just give up all our freedoms. Why not install a breathalyzer and a helmet and gear detector on every motorcycle so they can't be ridden unless everything checks out Ok? Just think it might save one life so why not do it?

·
Registered
776 Posts
I agree with checkpoints as long as they are infrequent...and pull EVERYONE over equally. I do live in NC and I've only been in three check points in over 30 years of driving. Of course, I was in the military and out of state for 20 years, so make that 10 years.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Crazy Dave has it right. Here in Indiana, they were about to start "motorcycle only" checkpoints, but our statewide ABATE guys and their lawyers got it stopped post haste. It didn't hurt that our current Govenor is an active rider.

Our constitution gives us "equal protection under the law" and singling out motorcyclists is blatantly unconstitutional!

Please pay attention to what your local government is doing, and if they start picking on just 2 wheel riders, put up as BIG stink.

Thanks Dave.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
We stand aside in silence as the rights of others are striped away and then we holler "WTF" when what goes around comes around.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I've never heard of a motorcycle only checkpoint but I'd have to stand up against that. I know that a lot of our local cops ride so they'd probably set up a check point just to check out our bikes!

I've never seen any kind of checkpoint in PA but I see them a lot in South Jersey. I am against checkpoints of any kind frankly. I believe that it is not worth infringing on ALL of our rights to potentially catch a few who might be breaking the law. I'd rather see those few breaking the law get away with it then see us all subjected to checkpoints. The fact is they don't just look for drunk drivers. Just over the bridge from me in Jersey they set up checkpoints during the day to check inspection, insurance cards, driver licenses, etc. Given the amount of crime in that town I see that as a total waste of tax payer funds.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
We stand aside in silence as the rights of others are striped away and then we holler "WTF" when what goes around comes around.
You are absolutely right and not to make this too political but the post 9/11 world we live in is a perfect example. I morn those lost on 9/11 and of course I pray it never happens again but the government went to the extreme in running over our rights as citizens of the U.S.

As citizens we have absolutely no say in how our country is run or just as important to me as a business owner how our government spends money. The government has simply become this huge uncontrolable monster that we can do nothing about. That includes local governments on up.

Several years ago I got involved in local politics. I never thought that one man could make a difference but I was **** well willing to try. After 3 years I couldn't take it anymore and quit. I believe that if we could get rid of the career politicians and put some business people in office - who would run our government like a business - we might actually see some improvement.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Goin with the devil on this one...Sorry Dave

They have been doing bike only check points in Georgia this year due to a large grant from the Feds. The GSP conducted several along the main roads, in conjunction with bike events to take advantage of higher traffic volumes. At first I was opposed but after reviewing the facts, I have to agree with law enforcement.

Compliance with licensing, insurance, and safety equipment are significantly lower among bikers in GA than other motor vehicles. Just as an example, people installing fake DOT stickers on a dime store novelty in order to make it appear street legal.

When up to 25% of riders don't have the required license to operate their bike legally on the road, I expect law enforcment to sort that out by checking all bikers. What do you think?

Like I have told many friends, if you are legal, you don't have anything to worry about.... I am just sorry that the facts require them to target us.

I don't see field sobriety check points set up on Monday morning going into the office park, you know? They are set up Saturday morning at 2:00 am because thats where the problem is....Same principle...

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Down with mopeds!
Down with bikers!
No, I mean down with check points!
Down with check points!
Check points bad!
What's a check point?:mrgreen:

·
Registered
228 Posts

amen----tyranny -- nanny govt---total jackboot thugs with badges

may they take an aeronautical fornication @ a motivational pastry:mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.