Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to vent a bit...
So, I go to buy a new battery for the old Yamaha Chop. I look at the regular, add-the-acid then charge type batteries, I usually buy, but they don't have mine in stock. Then I notice for a few bucks more, I can own a better, more cranking power, sealed battery, so I buy it. Get'r home, dump in the pre-measured acid and throw the charger on it. (1 amp charger for 14 hours as instructed) Then I put the seal on (which is to never be taken off for the life of the battery) and install it inthe bike.
So....I connect everything up and hit the starter switch and...click, click, click!!! "What the #$%^&* is going on" I'm thinking? Is this really the battery that was bad, or is it my starter or solenoid? So next thing to do is take out the starter and take it all apart and clear/ check the brushes, etc. Looks good! SO just for good measures, I took it to Auto Electrics and have it checked (for free) and it checks out good as new.
The I had them check the new battery I just bought and, sure enough, it's junk!!!
Ended up taking it back for a full refund (they also checked the load on it and found that it was defective.
SO now back across town (another reason I bought the sealed one) and bought one the same make/model battery that I had before.
So now it's out in the shop, being charged. It goes on the bike tomorrow morning and with luck, I'll be riding for the first time this season.
Oh, I could take out the Shadow, but I need to work out the bugs on the chopper before it goes in the paint booth!! Can't wait! >PD<

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
My question is, why would you be putting acid in a "SEALED" battery? When I buy mine they are already to go, that is why they are sealed?
also a good recommendation is get a good Battery Tender to keep the new battery charged/trickle all the time when not riding, that's what I do with mine.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Eldorado said:
My question is, why would you be putting acid in a "SEALED" battery? When I buy mine they are already to go, that is why they are sealed?
Thats what I was wondering...

and yes, the battery tender is the best $30 bucks I ever spent... now I just gotta remember to keep it plugged in :oops:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Look through posts from the last week to get a really good explaination, but the short version is there are two types of 'sealed'... pre-filled and you-fill, then seal (permanently). The shipping is less hazardous if the battery is pre-sealed, but the battery life clock starts ticking as soon as acid is put in it... so if you fill it yourself the battery is 'fresher'. It all depends on the company and your preferences.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I kinda chuckled at the idea of a "sealed" battery that you put the acid in. Then taking it out of the box, I noticed the pre-measured acid (which has 6 little nozzles that fill each cell all at once) then you put the "seal" on and your good to go (ya, sure) Anyways, there was no vent tube on the battery either. Notice I didn't post the brand because mine just may have been an isolated incedent. >PD<

·
Registered
889 Posts
Ive been down that path with car/truck batteries in the past. Now I always have them put it on their check machine before I take it home and put it in. And if it needs charged, I let them charge it then have them check it before I take it home. If they won't do that, I go to the next place until I find somebody that does.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update:
Got the second new battery in this morning, after the recommended 14 hours charge time with 1 amp charger.... Fired right up no problem!! And after that little ordeal, I have a fresh starter (new brushes and cleaned out) a fresh alternator (brushes and cleaned out) and the starter solenoid checked out, which is good. And the starter switch had a good contact cleaning, so....
it was a good thing that it happened, or I wouldn't had the excuse to do some much needed maintenance.
I plan to get her out onthe road later today! It supposed to get up to 37 today!! Yee Haw!!!

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Gramps, Just got her out on the road yesterday! What a rush!! Ianticipated the rear fender being too short to protect against the water/mud in the driveway (and by the look of the back of my jacket, I was right)
Hit the blacktop and didn't turn back. Everything works perfect. I think it got up to 40 here, so the grip warmers were a good mod. I only ran around for an hour or so, but it was enough to work out my winter cobwebs. There were a few bikes out yesterday and I figure there will be more today (supposed to be around 45 today) so I figure I'll ride some today...before we get that 6-10" of snow Sunday. >PD<

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not painted yet (well, I sprayed the fender with a spray bomb so it wouldn't rust for now) I am waiting on the tank I bought (coming from Canada) so I'll do all the paint when it gets here. Still deciding on colors and design. It's not going to be a showbike. It'll be something simple (like me!!) but, like all my stuff, it will be interesting. >PD<

·
Registered
156 Posts
PainterD said:
Not painted yet (well, I sprayed the fender with a spray bomb so it wouldn't rust for now) I am waiting on the tank I bought (coming from Canada) so I'll do all the paint when it gets here. Still deciding on colors and design. It's not going to be a showbike. It'll be something simple (like me!!) but, like all my stuff, it will be interesting. >PD<
8) :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Eldorado said:
also a good recommendation is get a good Battery Tender to keep the new battery charged/trickle all the time when not riding, that's what I do with mine.

Even the sealed batteries need to have the chemicals added to make their magic. Rather than have them sit for months on a shelf, dealers typically fill and seal them just before they get to you so you are good to go. You take a chance on that if you do mail order if it comes pre-activated since you don't know when it was done. Go local and a good place will suggest calling ahead so they can have it ready for you or you will often watch them juice it up while you wait.

Just be sure you have your size correct. The Spirit 750s need that short one and some places have it mistakenly listed as the tall. BTDT

~ShadowRob

1 - 14 of 14 Posts