Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after about 2 years I finally bought a new bike. I moved away from Honda and bought a 2005 Yamaha FZ6. The guy I bought it from never rode it. It only had 520 miles on it when i picked it up. I got a steal of a deal too for only $4500, its basically a brand new bike. So i changed the oil today lubed the chain and off I went. It's quite a big difference from my 85 VT500C.

I'm selling my old bike to one of my friends from college so he can learn on it like I did. (We took the MSF course together) I'm cutting him a good deal on it so he can enjoy the sport and build his skills. One thing that we found to help lower the cost of shipping a motorcycle (shipping from LA to Cincinnati in this scenario) was www.uship.com they ship freight via available space and people quote on your shipment like on ebay. I'll post a review after we ship the bike.

Initial impressions of the FZ6:
The handling on this bike is significantly better than my Honda. Turns are much easier to initiate and to track a line. Slow speed manuevers are also easier to initiate and finish. I can make tighter uturns on the FZ than i could on my Honda. I think it has to do with the rake, but I'm not sure. After my slow speed practice, I hit some of the curvy roads around my house and was very pleased with the way the bike handled.

I definitely like the windshield as it makes riding on the highway quite a bit more comfortable. I was surprised also that almost no wind hits the lower extremities as there is no fairing to cover your legs. Instead of having to hold onto the handlebars for dear life your hands can rest on them in this situation.

The riding position is slighly leaned forward but not painful like a CBR or a GSXR.

The throttle response is a little jerky and took some time to get used to. The clutch also has a narrow friction zone, but after about an hour you are used to both. This is also my first experience with fuel injection and I love it.

The bike is an inline 4 and redlines at 14k rpm and the first time I took it over 7k i thought i was going to break it. But that feeling goes away quickly. From 7-9k rpm the bike pulls like a monster. The inline 4 is definitely smoother than the V-twin and has very usable power. I read a few reviews saying the FZ was underpowered below 7k rpm, but that is not the case. Under 7k rpm is almost perfect for around town, it still has plenty of get up and go.

Almost no vibration gets passed on to the rider through the bars or footpegs which prevents fatigue. There is a slight buzz at about 5-6k rpm but not very noticable at all. The stock seat is a bit hard and gets uncomfortable after about 90 miles. I'll just have to train my rear end to get used to it like i did on the Shadow.

The brakes are fantastic in comparison to the Shadow. It has disc all around and those suckers can definitely stop the bike quickly. The rear brake is a little sensitive and while practicing my panic stops i locked up the rear tire twice. The front brake is a monster and I have heard of people flipping the bike because they grabbed to much front brake. (I'll try to avoid this situation)

I'm definitely going to miss my shadow, but I'm happy that my friend is going to get to enjoy it now. It is an excellent motorcycle that is absolutely BULLETBROOF. It introduced me to the sport and will always have a special place in my heart.

Here are some pics of my new bike.

http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t261/trkstr400/?action=view&current=P1010080Small.jpg
http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t261/trkstr400/?action=view&current=P1010079Small.jpg

·
Registered
128 Posts
Welcome to the club, Feliz. I went from a 2000 Spirit 1100 to a 2003 FZ-1. When I picked her up in August of 06 she had 3000 miles. She's passed 14k now. It has been a great bike!

With out a doubt the most powerful feature on the FZ-1 is the brakes. Wow. And double wow. I've never stoppied it, but I have come to complete stop from 50 mph in 2 car lengths (not counting reaction time). You'll experience some 'nad compression against the tank when you do that, but it beats the alternatives.

The downside to all that great handling, great braking and great acceleration is the days of getting 12k miles out of set of tire are gone. I had the stock tires burned off by 6000 miles. Now at 14k the Pilot Roads are telling me they don't have much left in them.

Enjoy the bike. Check out the FZ1OA FZ6 forums. And keep the nut between the seat the handlebars from getting too loose.

Sparc

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the encouragement. I've already experienced the nad compression as you mentioned.

On a side note I've gone through with the uship thing and accepted a bid to ship the bike from LA to Cincinnati for 427 dollars door to door. Pretty unbelievable if you ask me. They are coming to pick it up tomorrow morning and it should be in Cincinnati mid next week. I'm flying back this weekend to visit some friends and while i'm there we are going to transfer the title. I'll be sad to see her go.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Feliz.
Nice bike! I came close to buying one of those (same color - blue) and I'm glad I didn't now. Not saying they aren't a good bike - I think they are one of the best looking sport type bikes on the market. I just never got into that style of bike and the riding position kills me.
Of course you're comparing apples to potatoes on this one. They are completely different bikes. There is no comparison. You can't compare a sport bike (that got it's start from racing bikes) to a cruiser that is not designed to ridden the same way. Granted the FZ6 can handle with the best of the sport bikes, and has a more upright riding postition for better long distance comfort (initially got my attention) I almost got myself talked into buying one last year, but then came to my senses. It would be fun to own one, but I don't think I'd ride it much.
If I could ride one, I would. I think Yamaha did their homework when they built this one. It's kinda like a mini FJR.

·
Registered
171 Posts
PainterD said:
Feliz.
Nice bike! I came close to buying one of those (same color - blue) and I'm glad I didn't now. Not saying they aren't a good bike - I think they are one of the best looking sport type bikes on the market. I just never got into that style of bike and the riding position kills me.
Of course you're comparing apples to potatoes on this one. They are completely different bikes. There is no comparison. You can't compare a sport bike (that got it's start from racing bikes) to a cruiser that is not designed to ridden the same way. Granted the FZ6 can handle with the best of the sport bikes, and has a more upright riding postition for better long distance comfort (initially got my attention) I almost got myself talked into buying one last year, but then came to my senses. It would be fun to own one, but I don't think I'd ride it much.
If I could ride one, I would. I think Yamaha did their homework when they built this one. It's kinda like a mini FJR.
Did you know that the French term for potato is pomme de terre, which means apple of the earth? I suppose comparing apples to potatoes isn't so far-fetched after all.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Feliz,

I work with a guy who has an FZ6. He walked by as I was looking at the picture of your bike. He had two comments. He said: "Hey that guy has a bike like mine in the slower blue color." and He asked if you had changed out the seat yet. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
549 Posts
Sparc said:
Welcome to the club, Feliz. I went from a 2000 Spirit 1100 to a 2003 FZ-1. When I picked her up in August of 06 she had 3000 miles. She's passed 14k now. It has been a great bike!

With out a doubt the most powerful feature on the FZ-1 is the brakes. Wow. And double wow. I've never stoppied it, but I have come to complete stop from 50 mph in 2 car lengths (not counting reaction time). You'll experience some 'nad compression against the tank when you do that, but it beats the alternatives.

The downside to all that great handling, great braking and great acceleration is the days of getting 12k miles out of set of tire are gone. I had the stock tires burned off by 6000 miles. Now at 14k the Pilot Roads are telling me they don't have much left in them.

Sparc
i too have made the switch from cruiser to sport. and i wish i had done it years ago. better brakes...check. better handling...check. double the horsepower...check. lot's of $$ for tires...check (unfotrunately). more fun...check. safer riding because of the better brakes better handling and more power...CHECK!

i enjoy motorcycling a whole lot more now. so much so, i've put more miles on my Z in the last 9 months than i did during the first 3 years i owned my Shadow.

enjoy!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Raphy said:
Awsome bike - congrats... I'm looking to sport things up a bit too, but i'm looking for a baby ninja 250... the FZ6 is a sweet looking bike and you'll have lots of fun on it, guaranteed !!!
why so small, bud? you're an experienced rider and i'm sure you're going to be looking for something bigger than a 250 within weeks.

·
Registered
139 Posts
mountain bike mike said:
Raphy said:
Awsome bike - congrats... I'm looking to sport things up a bit too, but i'm looking for a baby ninja 250... the FZ6 is a sweet looking bike and you'll have lots of fun on it, guaranteed !!!
why so small, bud? you're an experienced rider and i'm sure you're going to be looking for something bigger than a 250 within weeks.
I know what you mean... but here is my reasoning... (ie. top 10 list)

1. Ninja 250's are cheap... under $3000
2. insurance on this baby is $500/year for me
3. Can't afford anything bigger becasue I'm getting married in September so funds are (or going to be) low
4. I hear these things are A LOT of fun ! most power at 10,000 -11,000 RPM and redlines ar 14,000 RPM, so it will feel and sound like i'm going 300 km/hr, where i'll only be going 100 ..lol
5. It's light (300 lbs) and nimble, so it might be good to make the sportbike transition
6. Tops out at 160 km/hr so less chance of killing myslef.. lol
7. Once i get bored of it, it would be a great bike to get the future wife into motorcycling
8. They retain their value so i will only loose minimum funds when i sell (if i sell)
9. Puts out almost as much HP as my cow-of-a-cruiser (over 500 lbs)... but yes , ik now.. only around 30-35 HP :(
10. I want a light sportbike that will be fun in the corners and this seems to be the one...

LOL... so call me crazy ! :shock: :lol:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Congrats. I test rode the FZ6 and FZ1 a month or so ago. The FZ6 was no gain over my nighthak 750, but the FZ1 was a blast to ride! If I had $8k in my pocket that day it would be at my house now. Meanwhile, I'm still looking. Thanks for the review.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Raphy said:
i'm looking for a baby ninja 250
Oh you mean a quarter thousand?

I had one years ago, great fun.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've always heard the blue FZ6 was the faster version :)

I haven't replaced the seat yet, but i'm looking into my options. Any suggestion from your friend?

The 250 Ninja is an awesome bike.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
felizcortez said:

I haven't replaced the seat yet, but i'm looking into my options. Any suggestion from your friend?

The 250 Ninja is an awesome bike.
Silver faster or blue, We might have to get these two tire to tire and see for sure :lol: About the seat, he has been talking about taking the seat apart and relining it with gel himself but he hasn't done anything yet except complain. :lol: New seats are pretty expensive. Many happy miles with your new bike.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Paulie said:
felizcortez said:
Silver faster or blue, We might have to get these two tire to tire and see for sure :lol:
silver is faster.
metal expands when it heats. blue-painted metal does not reflect as much heat as silver-painted metal, therefore retains more heat than silver, therefore expands more than silver, therefore creates a higher coefficient of drag than silver as you cut a hole through the atmosphere. :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.