Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my first new bike a couple weeks ago. Been on my old cm400 for about ten years. Found a still new 2014 aero. I love it except the sound. Suggestions? How does the barrel removal work with fuel injection?

·
Registered
170 Posts
you can look up the hole saw mod on youtube. a few members have done it. a little deeper and louder but not too crazy loud. all depends on your preference.
other option is obviously aftermarket pipes.

welcome!

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
The Aero still have the 2 into 1 exhaust?

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
you can look up the hole saw mod on youtube. a few members have done it. a little deeper and louder but not too crazy loud. all depends on your preference.
other option is obviously aftermarket pipes. welcome!

I have the 2 into one stock pipes on my aero. I used the hole saw method and my makes noise, but not crazy noise.

·
Registered
10,166 Posts

·
Registered
9,251 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I used to have a 2012 Shadow Aero. After about a year I did the hole saw mod. It was quick. As my wife put it, "Now it sounds like a motorcycle."

That said, it will never sound as good as aftermarket pipes. It doesn't sound bad, but you won't get confused with anyone on the same bike with V&H or Cobras. Also, being a 750 it just ain't gonna have the rumble that you get from a larger displacement V-Twin. With the fuel injection you never get low enough on the idle to get any sort of loping sound except for a second or less when you rev then drop off the throttle with the bike sitting. I liked the bit more sound of the hole saw mod, but on occasion I sort of missed the stock pipes.

I don't think mine was crazy loud. Maybe it sounds crazy in an odd way behind it. I've ridden behind a Shadow VT1100 with Cobra drag pipes unbaffled (which is what I ride now). It was a bit loud. His had an odd ringing I have heard with other Cobras. He also had some popping going on and needed some tuning. I'm happy to report that my Cobras, sans baffles, don't ring and have a really throaty sound to them. Comparing the Shadow Aero with hole saw mod the VT1100 with unbaffled Cobras? No comparison. The Aero sounded like it wanted to be like the VT1100 when it grew up.

Personally, I'd give the same advice a lot of folks gave back then. If you want the sound then put on a set of aftermarket pipes. Save the stock units as is in case you want to go back. Ride it awhile and if you decide you are sure you are going to stay with the aftermarket pipes then you can sell the stock pipes to all the folks who did that hole saw method then wanted to go back.

I'm not saying the hole saw is bad or that it sounds like crap. I liked it well enough, but it was never going to be a substitute for real aftermarket pipes.

I was going to see if I still had a short video of the Aero pipes right after hole saw but Photobucket seems to be having issues at the moment.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
You can't make that statement until YOU ride behind it... . @Scared @PhantomRider64 @enforcer76 will all back me in that....

Yes loud, which i dont think is a bad thing in and of itself, as long as there is a good tone to it. I have the Vance and Hines longshots, with the thunder city quiet monster baffles. To me it sounds good, it is loud when you get into it, but quite at cruising speed, and its a much deeper more mellow tone. Ths holesaw mod, imo just makes it sound loud and tinny, there is no real dept to it.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
487 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the feedback guys! It really means a lot for me to hear other people's experiences before I make a decision. I'm gonna hole saw out the baffels tonight, and try that for a while. I may end up going with a set of aftermarket later on, but i really just wanna be able to hear it over the wind noise

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback guys! It really means a lot for me to hear other people's experiences before I make a decision. I'm gonna hole saw out the baffels tonight, and try that for a while. I may end up going with a set of aftermarket later on, but i really just wanna be able to hear it over the wind noise

I would advise that you drill out the baffle plug before you do the hole saw mod. I drilled out ours,,,2013 Phantom and 2014 Aero,,,they sound good and not to loud and not tinny. If you dont like it you can still do the hole saw method. But if you do the hole saw first and you dont like it, your only option will be aftermarket $$$ exhaust.

I drilled our plugs with a drill just under 3/4". You will need a long bit since the plug is close to 9" in the pipe.

·
Registered
10,166 Posts
I would advise that you drill out the baffle plug before you do the hole saw mod. I drilled out ours,,,2013 Phantom and 2014 Aero,,,they sound good and not to loud and not tinny. If you dont like it you can still do the hole saw method. But if you do the hole saw first and you dont like it, your only option will be aftermarket $$$ exhaust.

I drilled our plugs with a drill just under 3/4". You will need a long bit since the plug is close to 9" in the pipe.
Yes, what he said!!!

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
I would advise that you drill out the baffle plug before you do the hole saw mod. I drilled out ours,,,2013 Phantom and 2014 Aero,,,they sound good and not to loud and not tinny.
I concur!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
10 Participants
vabrokenarrow
Honda Shadow Forums
Welcome to Honda Shadow Forum. Come in and discuss any Honda Shadow models: VT1100, VT250, VT750 and the VT500.
Full Forum Listing