Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody!

I just got a '96 VLX600. It's very clean, has only 2,600 miles on it and has been garaged it's whole life. It has been registered non-op since 2003. It runs well, starts nicely. I got this bike as a commuter and I want to get her in the best possible shape to be comfortable and dependable.

Here is what I've done so far:

-Drained old gas & replaced it with Chevron 91 octane

-Changed oil & oil filter, replaced oil with AmsOil

-Lubed the chain

-Added Seafoam to the gas to clean out fuel system/carbs

What else should I do...?

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Hi everybody!

I just got a '96 VLX600. It's very clean, has only 2,600 miles on it and has been garaged it's whole life. It has been registered non-op since 2003. It runs well, starts nicely. I got this bike as a commuter and I want to get her in the best possible shape to be comfortable and dependable.

Here is what I've done so far:

-Drained old gas & replaced it with Chevron 91 octane

-Changed oil & oil filter, replaced oil with AmsOil

-Lubed the chain

-Added Seafoam to the gas to clean out fuel system/carbs

What else should I do...?
What else I should do?
Ride it like you stole it.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
welcome bud.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
You've done what needs to be done. You'll need to plan for tires at about 7to 8000 miles, stay after the chain lube (recommended is every 500) - I have always done mine between every other ride, about the 300 mile mark. Amsoil is tops but holy budget crisis Batman...the price! I swap garden variety Chevron oil at 3K, it costs way less to change oil at more frequent intervals while the molecular chains are intact as compared to Amsoil which you can run longer.

Jez my $0.02

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcomes and advice guys. I'm gonna move my questions over to the tech forum...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts