Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
After taking some advise from the people here, I purchased my first street bike today. Its an '88 Shadow VT 1100. Super clean & black. I paid $1500 for it w/ 30k miles. I know the miles are high, but for a first bike, I didnt want to spend alot of money because I am sure that the bike will see the ground once or twice. I cant wait to start riding it. I will be taking the next defensive riding course offered my the DMV.

First question... The bike has the stock silver 5-spoke wheels on it & I dont really care for them. Is it possible to put chrome spoked wheels on it like the ones that come on newer bikes? Where can I get them & how much?

I will get pics up ASAP.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Hey Mark,
Congrats on the bike. Nice choice and at a great price I think. And that is not alot of miles.
Mine is a '89' shadow 1100, that now has basically 50,000 miles and I love it.
I too thought about swapping wheels before. I guess you'll have to do your own homework because I don't have the numbers, BUT, from what I've been told "If the axles are the same size and you can swap out all the extras hooked to the wheel (brakes,ect.) then yes it can be done."
Hope to see those pics soon.

Big Al

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Hey Mark...welcome to the board.

Good move on taking the safety course.

Where in Joisey are ya?

·
Registered
943 Posts
30k at that price, doesnt seem like high miles to me........enjoy the bike

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
:idea: what about having the wheels powder coated or painted instead of buying new (or used) replacements...
colored they can match/highlight the bike.

I think that would look cool/wicked/bad/hot/slick/bitch'n/gnarly/etc (choose appropriate slang for your region.. :lol: )

8)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was thinking about that as well. Black would be the color. Maybe a little photoshop is in order?

·
Registered
249 Posts
A good choice for a 1st, 2nd or 3rd bike. A little maintenance,goes along ways toward miles of smiles.Enjoy and welcome to the HONDA world.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Congrats on the Shadow. Great bike. Good choice. This is my first bike as well!

G

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the forum
Yes you can swap wheels but personally I'd keep those cast wheels if I were you. Having them means you should be running tubeless tires and as far as I am concerned tubeless is a far better way to go

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I think you got a great deal, and I agree with the others that 30K isn't a lot of miles, especially if they're well-maintained miles.

I don't have much info about wheels, but Dave's right about the cast wheels. They're much easier to clean too. You can get spoked wheels that take tubless tires if the look is a "must-have" for you. I have them on my '92 VLX and so far they've been good to me. Wish I had a link for you, but Google should turn up something.

Congrats on the purchase!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Re: New Spirit/Spoked wheels

Unfortuneately the 1100 Spirit does not lend itself to mounting spoked wheels easily. While the rear wheel can be had from a 04 and later 750 Aero and now also from the late model 750 Spirit, it's the front that is another issue completely. The 1100 Spirit's front braking system is on the right while all other Honda systems are on the left except for their dual system discs. This causes compatibility issues with rotor sizes and calipers. I've heard folks may have mounted the VLX front wheel on the 1100 Spirit but I have as yet to see any successful installs. The new 750 Spirit with the 21" wheel may offer some possibilities but again, I've not seen any installs. Do some research. I do know the fork tubes from the smaller bike are of a different diameter than the 1100 so exchanging fork tubes with lowers to mount the different braking systems that way may not work. Again, do some research. I mounted a HD Wide Glide front end on my 1100 Spirit but it was not easy and it was pricy.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Welcome, Sounds like a great deal on the bike. I was going to pay more than that for a similar bike 18 months ago but it sold first.

I agree with those saying 30,000 is not a lot of miles for these bikes. I also agree with those wanting to stay with tubeless tires.

(And nice car as well!) :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys.

I already ordered crash bars, a bike cover & an OEM service manual. I want to be ready for spring!! Now all i need is a license!! haha

·
Registered
5 Posts
nice looking ride and I agree with the others who said 30,000 miles isn't very many. My '04 spirit has 18,000 al ready . I have a friend with a '92 with 40,000 and he has no problems with it .
Get your class and enjoy

·
Registered
295 Posts
I think you got a great deal on your bike.

As an alternative to spoked wheels (and the tubes that come with them) you can polish your existing wheels yourself or have them chromed for a couple hundred bucks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts