Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a short ride last Sunday afternoon on wet pavement. It wasn't raining then but had been. I was being extremely careful on the few curves I had to negotiate and started to wonder this question.

Just how much traction do we lose on wet pavement? I'm talking about pavement that has been completely washed with a long rain -- not the super slick stuff just as the rain starts. I don't really know how much to trust the bikes tires on wet pavement at this point.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Assuming even if it's washed I've discovered that it varies all over the map, but personally the shinier it is, the less I trust it ...Blacktop (asphalt), smooth blacktop, and blacktop with tar spots especially get my antennae up. Concrete is pretty predictable, but blacktop isn't.

·
Registered
227 Posts
http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33040

there are too many variables to put a percentage on it but it is significant. Leave extra space and make no sudden moves.

Tires along with pavement type are two great variables along with speed.
The Soft compound qualifying tires I run on my sport bike are more forgiving than the harder compound I run on the touring bike.

Take the rain seriously and watch out for man hole covers in corners.

Glen

·
Registered
335 Posts
I second that, I definitely treat it all as ice, especially since often I'm coming home from work and the temps are below freezing! I also agree about the look of the pavement giving yo usome idea how slick it'll be.. some of the older salt-eaten roads that are rough-surfaced are the ones I won't slow down much on despite the rain... new pavement scares me, as do the tire tracks on a road that gets heavily used by big rigs, causing grooves or gullys down each tire track. Water can sit in those depressions up to an inch deep or more..not what I need to be riding through, though the idea of riding on the center crest of the lane, right in line with all the oil drippings, isn't much more inviting.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
It's probably more than you imagine and less than you think... :?

The thing about rain is that it just takes everything that is already a problem and just makes it worse. The thing I really watch out for is the marking paint at interesections. The stuff they use around my neck of the woods is slick to begin with and when it rains it is like a piece of glass smeared with vasoline with some BB's thown in for good measure. I've come close to falling just putting a foot down on it.

Riding in a straight line usually isn't a huge issue as long as you don't hydroplane, but sharp braking, cornering and the like need to be approached with a lot of caution.

·
Registered
87 Posts
southernspirit said:
I know for a fact I have better wet traction with the ME880's than the dunlops.
Husband is in need of new tires. Please expand on the ME880's. We were about to go back with Dunlops.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'd think you lose some if it's just wet, and whole lot if it's got water laying on it and the puddles will be your undoing. All these things assume excellent tires, riding like it was dry. If you're riding baldies, park it til it dries out!

Edit...I just read rmw's post and he's got right! Paint lines are disaster and anything else that is very smooth.

John

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
In Florida we ride in the rain alot. The Metzlers make a major difference over the stock Dunlaps. The white shell roads are as slippery as a greased pig. New asphalt isn't a whole lot better. If I had to put a % on it, I would say maybe 60 %. All I know is that you don't want to make sudden or hard leans when it is wet. The delayed turn that you make on nice clean dry roads is not something you want to do when it's wet. The one thing I have found that is worse then wet is beach sand on the roads along the Gulf. After a good wind storm it is like riding on ball bearings. You spin when you take off, you slide when you stop and you slide through gentle curves. It's as bad as black ice because you can't see it most of the time.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Littlex said:
southernspirit said:
Husband is in need of new tires. Please expand on the ME880's. We were about to go back with Dunlops.
There has been alot of complaints on this board about the Dunlops that come stock on new Hondas. Alot of members have gone to the Metzler 880 's and they rave about both traction and tread life. Dunlop makes many different motorcycle tires of which I have run the 440's and a 2xx series and they have been fine in both fair weather and foul. There has also been some good reviews of Avon's on this board.

The point being, motorcycle manufacturers put cheap rubber on new bikes in order to save a little money. Tires are sort of a get what you pay for item. IMO.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Littlex said:
southernspirit said:

I have had the Dunlops before and they are an "ok" tire IMO. They do get squirrely over road grates, tar snakes, etc. The Metzs are 100% better in handling and wet traction IMO. Very smooth and you don't have the "walking" like with the dunlops. Also the wear is superb compared to dunlops. I have 18,000 miles now and have a good bit of life left in the Metzs. I think Metzs are the shiznit! :D

·
Registered
151 Posts
southernspirit said:
Littlex said:
southernspirit said:

I have had the Dunlops before and they are an "ok" tire IMO. They do get squirrely over road grates, tar snakes, etc. The Metzs are 100% better in handling and wet traction IMO. Very smooth and you don't have the "walking" like with the dunlops. Also the wear is superb compared to dunlops. I have 18,000 miles now and have a good bit of life left in the Metzs. I think Metzs are the shiznit! :D
+1
Metz tires are da bomb...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the insight everybody - you pretty much confirmed what I already thought about being super cautious on the wet stuff. As for tires, mine only have about 1200 miles on 'em so I'm a ways from any new ones but sounds like Metzlers are the way to go when that happens.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks guys. My husband rides the 1800 VTX. He literally shreds the Dunlops. This will be the third set of tires and the bike is an 03. His riding style doesn't help much. But I don't expect that to change after all these years so we need to figure out how to compensate for it. All info is greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
Tangle Eye said:
I did a short ride last Sunday afternoon on wet pavement. It wasn't raining then but had been. I was being extremely careful on the few curves I had to negotiate and started to wonder this question.

Just how much traction do we lose on wet pavement? I'm talking about pavement that has been completely washed with a long rain -- not the super slick stuff just as the rain starts. I don't really know how much to trust the bikes tires on wet pavement at this point.
I read somewhere that the average, modern, all weather tire maintains over 80% of its traction for normal, non-extreme riding (not slamming the brakes or WOT'ing).

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't know the answer, but...............

be very careful on the painted lines! They are slick when dry and becomea death trap when wet! Just crossing one of the thin white lines in the middle of the road while cornering can throw you. When stopping at a red light I have almost dropped the bike several times just putting my feet down on these stripes!!!!

Rick

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm not suggesting to ride like I do or have, but on my Sabre I have scraped the pegs going through curves during a thunderstorm. The road was very wet but clean.

I have also lost traction under hard braking in the rain on clean roads and have lost traction under moderate braking on a freshly wet surface.

There are a lot of variables concerning traction. My advise is to treat it like it is slick unless you are sure it offers traction. You can usually get a feel of how slick it is by doing a short controlled lockup (at a reduced speed) of your rear brake. Be sure to be going straight and that you are very vertical before doing this. If you have any lean angle at all it can get interesting in a bad way. If you have no experience of locking your rear brake don't do this.

God, I hope I haven't talked anyone into highsiding.

Benny

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Morgan said:
God, I hope I haven't talked anyone into highsiding.
You didn't talk me into it Benny! :D I'll sure take your advice to treat it as slick. That's what I was doing anyway. I've read lots of info about how NOT to high side and I sure plan to follow what I read!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts