Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First mod ever... and I must say that it is pretty exciting.

Here it is, a two piece wide touring mustang seat (76161) installed on my Phantom.

Quality product and very easy to install. Too soon to comment about comfort :)

Next, i'm going to order willie & max revolution saddlebags. I'll post as soon as I get them.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Nice! That was my first addition to my Phantom as well. I love the seat and my wife loves the rear on her rear.

I love how easy it is to pull off the rear section when my wife isn't riding.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Nice bike and seat! I am on my 3rd Mustang seat on various bikes and they do take a 1000 miles or so to break in. You are gonna love it.
I like a drivers backrest with a feet forward riding position. Little pricey but I cant take it with me,,,

My wife likes the short Honda backrest I put on for her.
It gives her some security in case I pop a wheelie. :shock:

·
Registered
776 Posts
Yep...your butt will definately thank you later. Next one I get will have the driver backrest. Agree that it's pricey, but I will just rob more innocent people and sell some more illicit drugs. ;-)

·
Registered
120 Posts
All this positive talk about back rests...

You guys are beginning to convice a youngster that he needs a backrest for those 2 hour highway rides.

·
Registered
2017 Indian Roadmaster
983 Posts
Someday...maybe I can talk the wife into getting me one for Christmas, lol!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Yep...your butt will definately thank you later. Next one I get will have the driver backrest. Agree that it's pricey, but I will just rob more innocent people and sell some more illicit drugs. ;-)
Jim O was going to suggest you sell yours to me and then get new one, but checked Mustang site and they are different part numbers. Was a thought .. ;-)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just ordered a Mustang for my bike. I sure hope it works as well as everyone says. Yesterday I rode around for just a couple of hours and today I could hardly walk! Feels like I've been sitting on concrete for a week. I want to do some longer rides (I went from Chicago to Denver, and to Yellowstone, on my previous bike), but there's no way I can even consider that with the stock seat. Even the AirHawk didn't seem to help much. I got the one with the backrest, like you; I found that to be a HUGE help on my old bike (an '87 Gold Wing).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sorry for the revival, but I can't find this info anywhere. In the two-piece set, can you lift up the passenger seat to turn it into a backrest for the driver?

·
Read Only
2,714 Posts
First mod ever... and I must say that it is pretty exciting.

Here it is, a two piece wide touring mustang seat (76161) installed on my Phantom.

Quality product and very easy to install. Too soon to comment about comfort :)

Next, i'm going to order willie & max revolution saddlebags. I'll post as soon as I get them.
I have to say, having tried 'cheap' saddlebags, that I would not recommend the Willie & Max bags. Most of them are not even real leather, and they don't hold up well, especially in the weather. I had a set, and the straps broke first off, but I couldn't get them replaced. Then, I got a set of eBay for $50, which were advertized as 'buffalo leather', and included a lot of extra bags in the deal. Here's how they looked:

They actually lasted quite a while, about 3-5 years, but the weather and mice in my garage took a toll on them. My latest saddlebags I got at a local rally for just about $100. They're a combination of leather and other fabric accents, but have a special 'heat shield' on the bottom to keep the pipes from burning a hole in them. I've had them going on 3-4 years, and they still look practically new, or at least, just broke in. Here's a pic of the new ones:

Of course, it's up to you, but I wouldn't go with the Willie & Max bags.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have to say, having tried 'cheap' saddlebags, that I would not recommend the Willie & Max bags. Most of them are not even real leather, and they don't hold up well, especially in the weather. I had a set, and the straps broke first off, but I couldn't get them replaced.
Of course, it's up to you, but I wouldn't go with the Willie & Max bags.
I've had a Mustang wide touring seat with backrest on my Sabre for 24,000 miles. It was a big improvement over the stock seat. My wife liked the pillion upgrade even more. :)

As the pic below shows, the bike also has Willie and Max Revolution bags (large size). They been on the bike for about 22,000 miles and I've had no problems with mine. I've been through all day rain and not had one leak yet and they are holding up well. Although my bike is garaged at night, I ride to work frequently so the bags sit out in the Southern sun all day.

The bags are mounted with Edge brackets. It's very convenient to be able to remove them in just a moment with the turn of a key.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
2 year old thread, suspect the op already did the bag thing.

But for willie and max bags, pfft, they're not bad, my set of throw overs were 2nd or 3rd hand by the time I got em. They do the job, the conchos aren't shiny nor the buckles anymore, but my bike isn't and never was intended for shows or awards,,certainly no garage queen.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts