Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after finalizing some of my modifications and seeing as the weather was holding up I went for a cruise down by the beach. As I'm going over the Ocean Avenue bridge I heard/felt one of the cylinders give out. So I putt-putted over into a shopping center at the base of the bridge and killed the ignition. Attempted a restart; same thing - one cylinder not firing. No problem; so I yanked the intake to see if one of the air/fuel screws backed out; nope, okay there. So then I took out the handy OEM tool kit and pulled each spark plug one by one. Nothing out of the norm; all okay there. So I sat for a bit and let her cool down. Restart again, this time it's cranking but not turning over. :mad: So I'm thinking now, gotta call my buddy with his trailer to help me get her home. Meanwhile, a couple of police officers stop over to ask if everything was okay presumably because they saw my tools all over the ground, the intensity in my face and heard my repeated restart attempts. "Yeah", I told them I was waiting for a tow. Meanwhile as I was putting the tools back in the casing I glanced up ......... :shock: ... at ... the ... petcock. "Sh|t" I reveled to myself ... the reserve. It is unbelievable in all my years of riding that I have done this twice now - running out of gas in the main tank and completely forgot about the reserve fuel switch. Dumb, just plain dumb. :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Really? Ya know...I just can't....dog ya....screw that!!! ya freakin' senile old fart! Ya "wanna be" noob!! You don't set your trip meter? Really??? ROFLMAO (OK, now I have to go out and check my petcock postion.... Joking dude!! You are a glass half empty kinda person, right? You automatically assumed the worst, knowing full well you know these things like the back of your hand!! I've seen your work. Maybe you are at a point where you know too much and jump to worst case rather than the simple. It's because of the mods you did. You just had to assume it was something you did there. am I right? Yeah, you know too much now!! It will happen to me now because karma is vengeful!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
..."Sh|t" I reveled to myself ... the reserve. It is unbelievable in all my years of riding that I have done this twice now - running out of gas in the main tank and completely forgot about the reserve fuel switch. Dumb, just plain dumb. :mrgreen:
Hey don't feel too bad, you've had "all my years" without doing it..... I got my bike 2-3 months ago and ended up waiting on the side of the road with an empty tank on the day I got it!!! In my defense the 'low fuel' light never came on..... luckily, this is an embarrasing mistake I won't make twice; I'll never rely on that light again!

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Really? Ya know...I just can't....dog ya....screw that!!! ya freakin' senile old fart! Ya "wanna be" noob!! You don't set your trip meter? Really??? ROFLMAO (OK, now I have to go out and check my petcock postion.... Joking dude!! You are a glass half empty kinda person, right? You automatically assumed the worst, knowing full well you know these things like the back of your hand!! I've seen your work. Maybe you are at a point where you know too much and jump to worst case rather than the simple. It's because of the mods you did. You just had to assume it was something you did there. am I right? Yeah, you know too much now!! It will happen to me now because karma is vengeful!!!
^This! ROTFLMAO! ... Yep, we tend to overlook the small things. :wink:

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
:shock: Bong hits...will cause this every time. :cool:

·
Registered
10,263 Posts
Chit happens! For me, it would have been an expensive part that had to be ordered from Africa coming in on a row boat!
Glad it was simple!
Coop

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL OMG, yeah, it's the simple things in life that will get ya. Glad it was an easy fix for ya and got back on the road.
Thanks man. I get myself all the time. Why? Cuz my mama always sedz I'z wuz SIMPLE!

Chit happens! For me, it would have been an expensive part that had to be ordered from Africa coming in on a row boat!
Glad it was simple!
Coop
LOL! Yeah, if it were me I would have just missed the boat altogether. ;)

·
Registered
811 Posts
I always tried to avoid reserve on my shadow because it took so long to pick up, but if it was going to be close, I would switch to reserve before I had to switch it (that helped a little). One day it dies about 10 miles after I switch it (half way between two freeway exits). I finally give up on fixing it there on the freeway, push the bike half way to the next exit, when I look down and realize that I had forgot to switch the reserve back last time I had gotten gas, so this time had actually switched the tank off of reserve when I had intended to switch it on.

I have to switch my petcock off every time I stop the beemer (not a good idea to leave it on with gravity feed carbs, needle sticks and all your gas runs out on the ground). It helps in making sure I always switch it.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Been there done that. Even paid for a tow once due to the petcock setting.

Spent a week one time trying to fix a no start condition. Seems when I cleaned the switches I somehow reversed the run/stop switch.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
That was dumb. Very dumb. Don't think I would have shared that one. I personally have never done anything that dumb.

I have attempted to crank the bike for a very long time, even coming very close to asking someone for jumper cables, before noticing the kill switch was in the off position. But I've never done anything dumb before.:roll:

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
How to avoid running out of gas after forgetting you have switched to reserve:

When switching the petcock to reserve make it a habit to also flip the keyhole cover on the gas cap open. That way when you look at the gas cap it will remind you.

~Mark

·
Banned
3,795 Posts
So after finalizing some of my modifications and seeing as the weather was holding up I went for a cruise down by the beach.. :mrgreen:
Mentioning your modifications, the new sig pic appears your bike is lowered, I don't seem to remember you doing this in your posts. Was the bike already lowered?

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How to avoid running out of gas after forgetting you have switched to reserve:

When switching the petcock to reserve make it a habit to also flip the keyhole cover on the gas cap open. That way when you look at the gas cap it will remind you.

~Mark
That's a good idea but there's a few things wrong with that. (1) I wasn't running on reserve, I forgot about the reserve ... (2) I would forget to flip the cap open ... and (3) this post is about my dumbness so it'll never work. :p

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mentioning your modifications, the new sig pic appears your bike is lowered, I don't seem to remember you doing this in your posts. Was the bike already lowered?
I actually mentioned it in another post somewhere, but yeah it was lowered by the previous owner, front and back. It sits sweet and I also carved out a bit more when I re-did the seat.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.