Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

· Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola. Yes, I stole this motorcycle. I was in the market for one and been sort of half a$$ looking for the last year. I missed out on a couple of steals of deals a little out of town from Craigslist ads.... But then I found this.
He was asking $1800 at first, then dropped it down to $1300 because he couldn't get it started. Consulted some friends, they said it sounded electrical and I should bite on it.

Low and behold, we pick it up this morning and pull it off the trailer...Buddy's got it running in 5 minutes. There's some webs in the starter mechanism and just some loose wiring or something in there. Gotta jiggle it to get it to crank.
All in all, a STEAL of a deal for $1100 not running (I talked him down from $1300 to $1100..LOL).
My buddy is cleanin the carbs out and doing some simple maintenance to it right now while I get my paperwork (TT&L) taken care of. I haven't ridden in years and I wanna get a riding course under my belt before I decide to get on the road with it.

Here's the pics. It's got a lot of rust spots and the motor/chassis area was really neglected, but it runs pretty solid. After my friend finishes the tune up, It'll come to my place where I'll be pulling off every piece that's removable to clean up, and paint. I've done plenty of paint work and customizing so this clean up job is right up my alley. Only rust I'm worried about is the front forks. Might end up looking for a set of OEM forks to replace these longer ones.

Rust on the front forks. Prolly needs new seals because of it.

You don't have to tell me, those Iron Cross mirrors are on their way out. Also there's an Iron Cross turn signal. I'll be replacing that as well.

Not sure what's up with the front fender. It's metal, and it just stops abruptly with a square edge on the back. That'll prolly get modified.

Originally I wasn't going to consider this bike because it wasn't running and it wasn't the color I wanted (black/silver), but a friend convinced me that the starting problem is probably super cheap, and I can paint the bike myself (I tend to do a lot of customization to my other stuff, and I do vinyl graphics on the side so this should be a fun project)

All in all, I'm stoked about it. Can't wait to get on the road with some buds and do some cruising. Gonna schedule the safety riding class asap, and do my title transfer stuff next week. Oh, and put some baffles in this **** exhaust. The guy before put Cobra pipes with no baffles. It's WAY too loud. I need something more contained. Neighbors in my apartment complex aren't going to like that when I leave at 7am for work.

· Registered
1,101 Posts
What a great deal! I can't wait to see what all you do with it!

Ride it like you stole it!

· Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a 2003 Shadow Spirit 750.

My friend is almost done with some of the work for it. I'll prolly head to Autozone or somewhere later to start piecing together what colors scheme I wanna go with for the paint. First things first, it needs a LOT of Simple Green and steel wool work and just cleaning in general. Then I'll worry about painting accessories. I can't wait to tear this thing apart and get a good Charcoal/pewter and flat black theme going. Only issue will be painting the tank.
I'm debating on painting it all black and charcoal and just doing some red accents in vinyl instead of painting the red on.

I'd love to powdercoat the exhaust, but I think I wanna hold off on spending too much money on it. Because if I wanna sell it in a year or two for an 1100, I'd rather not have too much invested in it.

· Registered
54 Posts
Before you go spend money on the forks... go get some AA-AA extra fine steel wool from hope depot or lowes, then spray some glass cleaner on the forks and lightly rub the steel wool on them (use the cleaner as a lube and keep it lubed up). You'll be surprised at how much surface rust that will take off. It made my wheels look like new again...

It's cheap and worth a shot, let me know how it turns out! You can use that method on pretty much all the chrome, just be soft and keep it lubed.

· Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool beans. Thanks for the info. I don't intend on getting new forks, I'll contemplate it after I see how deep this rust has pitted into em. I'm probably heading to Home Depot in a few to get some brushes and stuff.

· Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's the idle after we got it running. Gotta get rid of the old gas. My friend said it felt pretty strong, but man it needs some baffles pretty bad. I'm not a fan of SUPER loud exhausts and this is pretty up there in the decibels.

· Registered
1,245 Posts
looks like somebody had a nice bike and lost all interest in it which makes it good for you nice deal
ps if you want your money back let me know

· Registered
1,078 Posts
Congrats on the new bike! It does look like a once loved project that someone lost interest in and let it sit outside. Good luck with the restoration. It does look gorgeous though.

· Registered
67 Posts
Dang son; steal? That's HIGHWAY ROBBERY! I'm of the opinion you'll be able to make those fork tubes look hot again with little effort... the tins look sweet too... I even like the color!

And here I was thinking I did well... blah! Nice :)
=Nate

· Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ha. Thanks for the optimism! I love projects like this. Recently I found a neck thru Charvel bass body for sale on Craigslist for $50, talked him down to $30, and reworked the fretboard and the paint, installed new hardware. Best bass in my rack. I love reworking stuff and getting it back to a super clean "newish" kind of condition.
This bike has lots of neglect. We'll see what will come of some of it. There's some wiring stuff we'd like to solve as well. Not sure how they wired it, but the turn signals are wired like running lights, and the brake light doesn't come in when you press the front brake. Only when you hit the rear.
So I'll have to trace it to see if it's some way that they wired it or if it's a short.

Also, are these turn signals supposed to run super hot? I'm assuming they're not but they're not normally rigged up as running lights keeping them on all the time. The shell for these things is super hot to the touch after a couple of minutes.

· Registered
218 Posts
Looking forward to a future post on how / if the forks cleaned up and if they did, were the seals compromised.

Cheers to you and your new project ride.

· Registered
129 Posts
man

that is a great bike, and a great price... Im sure you wont let it go to waste like the last guy did...

I got a good deal on mine too, the guy was down and out and was strapped for cash.. Sometimes others misfortunes are others opportunities...

don't want to steal your awesome thread but i did know brake lights came on with just the front brake? guess mine doesn't and i just thought they weren't suppose too...

KEEP US POSTED ON THE PROJECT!

· Registered
1,078 Posts
Yes the front brake should activate your brake light. If you pull in the brake lever, there's a little switch that it "releases" which is located behind/beneath the brake lever in the kill switch housing. Replace it and that should fix your problem. I just had to do the same thing with mine.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.