Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I just bought a 1983 Honda Shadow 750 with 27K miles. Its my first motorcycle, and I can't wait to ride! (Gotta wait for it to warm up a bit, still have snow on the ground in SW Michigan)

I had a few questions though. First, the bike needs a new battery and spring maintenance done (oil change, plugs, etc) and a good wash and polish. The bike did sit for about a year though. I'm fairly handy with a wrench, so the maintenance issues are no big deal. Can I run some sort of engine cleaner through a bike, possibly stuff they sell at an auto parts store, before I change the oil? Or is there a special engine cleaning product specially made for bikes? And is there anything else I should check/replace besides all the usual fluids?

The cover for the indicator lights has all the wording rubbed off, so I don't know what each light means. I don't know what to call it, so I'm having a hard time finding one online. I assume i'd have to go to a salvage yard for something like that?

Lastly, every picture I've seen for an '83 Honda Shadow has a different exhaust than mine. The pictures have the '85-'87 exhaust, where it tapers back narrower at the end. Mine flares out at the end. Which is the stock exhaust? Its not a big deal, I just wanted to know if what I had was OEM or aftermarket.

I will attempt to get some pictures up soon. I can't to ride!

Ride safe,
-L

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Welcome! To answer your first question, if it'll start and idle somewhat okay, you can try running a bit of Seafoam through the carbs. This should be available in most auto parts stores, comes in a metal can. You can pour it into your tank, but it'll do a better job of removing carbon and gunk if you can get it in the carbs directly. You can also add a little to the crank case and run it a bit before you change your oil.

The cover you need might be found on ebay. Or you can try salvage yards. Pictures will help decipher what cover you might be talking about (I'm not familiar with the older Shadows) as well as to help answer your question about your exhaust.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Congrats, great bike :) Of course, I'm partial. The words are worn off of my indicator panel too, but you can download the service manual here and find out what is what. Welcome to the forum!

By the way, the pipes on my ride are the stock ones, for your comparison purposes.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Welcome to the madhouse!!

here's what you can do for your "dash" with vinyl lettering"

Here's what it's SUPPOSED to look like:

Have fun and ride safe!!!

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
The only pipes I know of that flaired out on a 83 was on the Magna, Had a 83 magna and wasn't too crazy about the trumpet looking pipes but this is what the looked like. Although I wouldn't mind still owning that bike, Thing was a blast to ride.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
My friend bought a V30 Magna as his first bike. It was pretty bad ass! Only 500 I know of that will pull wheelies easily.

I will one day own a Magna 750.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
The only pipes I know of that flaired out on a 83 was on the Magna, Had a 83 magna and wasn't too crazy about the trumpet looking pipes but this is what the looked like. Although I wouldn't mind still owning that bike, Thing was a blast to ride.
The stock pipes from a '83 VT750C look the same:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
First off, gotta put up a picture of my bike:

I think it looks great for being 28 years old! the chrome looks awesome, no scratches or dings in the paint. The right-side exhaust has some rust, but I'll take a brass wire wheel to it and hopefully get it looking good.

I rode it home last monday, and even though it was cold and really windy, it was definitely worth it! I've got it in storage now until the weather warms up (For those of you not in SW Michigan, we just got hit with a big ice storm. Lots of power outages and accidents. So much for spring...)

Thank you to everyone who's replied. I've gotten some great feedback here with my questions. I'l address each in turn:

DunesGirl: You said to run Seafoam through the carbs. Seafoam is great stuff, but how do i get it directly to the carbs? Is there a vacuum line somewhere?

To those who posted pictures: thank you for them. The exhaust on Kathy M's bike are the same as mine, now I know which ones I have haha!

rpneal44: Thanks for the idea of the vinyl lettering, I'll have to do that, I don't like not knowing which light is which.

Anyone know of a good way to put a clock on the metal plate above the indicator light panel? I like being able to know what time it is while riding. Or if anyone has any other suggestions for ways to put a timepiece on the bike somewhere, I'd appreciate it. ****, I could just put a watch on the handlebar lol.

Dauntae: Where did you get the 3 light bar kit? I'd like to add something like that to my bike. Would it be possible to put on an older Shadow?

Also, my engine "run" switch (on the right handlebar) I don't think works. I set it to "run", and the bike starts and runs just fine. However, with the bike running, when I switch it to "Off", nothing happens. I thought that was how you're supposed to turn off a motorcycle. The only way I get it to turn off is with the ignition key. I can set the switch to "Off" and the bike will still start up and run... is that normal? Again, probably a rookie question, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

PS: the batteries for these old bikes are so **** expensive! I hope they last for awhile.

Again, thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Stay safe,
-L

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yes change all fluids and air filter. Check tires by looking for cracking and tread. I had a tire blow out on me at 12000 miles with 50 percent tread left. Easier to change tires around home, rather then on the road somewhere. Listen for the fan when your stopped to make sure it comes on. Your lucky if those lights in your dash work. You might find a replacement on Ebay. Great bike

·
Registered
270 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Nice looking ride. I have an '83 Kawasaki, but in MUCH rougher shape.

If you're looking for a timepiece, check this link. No.1 Motorcycle Gauges

My bike had one on when I purchased it. The battery is dead now, but it's a solid timepiece.

If you haven't ridden (or ridden in a while), do yourself a favor and sign up for an MSF course. Time well spent.

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts