Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post in this forum. The reason I joined was to hear some opinions on a Honda Shadow I've become interested in and was seeking your thoughts as to whether it looks like a good deal. If you were in the market, would you consider it? I currently own a Burgman 400, which is my very first bike at age 54. My stratagy was to take baby steps in the learning process. After a year of riding the Burgman, I think I'm interested in the Shadow as the next step.

Anway...here's the listing of 2002 Shadow with only 4,000 miles.
The fact that it only has 4,000 for a 12 year old bike sort of raises a red flag...why so little? Do I need to be concerned? What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance..
Dan

2002 HONDA SHADOW 750 AMERICAN CLASSIC EDT, MINT, 4000MILES, PERFECT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LZ2D5F8VNk&list=UUZT7RTCZ6vB51h1EB6p1j5Q

·
Premium Member
7,686 Posts
The mileage shouldn't raise any flags. There are a ton of low mileage, older bikes out there for any number of reasons. Check book on it and if you think you're getting a deal, buy it. My only hesitance would be because it's from a dealer. Very few actually offer "deals". I buy my rolling stock lightly used, from a private party and feel I get a much better "deal" that way. Welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
thats a nice looking bike dan, and welcome aboard. :)

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Very few actually offer "deals". I buy my rolling stock lightly used, from a private party and feel I get a much better "deal" that way. Welcome to the forum!
Agree with Smilie. If you do go to see that bike, insist on riding it. Even though the mileage is low you want to make sure those twin carbs are 100% functional, or else you're in for some rebuild time. Also it is a chain drive bike, so that adds some maintenance. If you can go for a shaft drive fuel injected bike you'll thank me later. Ask how old the tires are. If original they need to be replaced after 12 years. Beautiful machine though if you are handy...and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you can go for a shaft drive fuel injected bike you'll thank me later. Ask how old the tires are. If original they need to be replaced after 12 years. Beautiful machine though if you are handy...and welcome to the forum.
I didn't think about the tires and you're right. After 4,000 miles they probably show good thread, but, being 12 years old....they wouldn't be safe to ride on.
As for the fuel injection and shaft drive, are there later year Shadows that use fuel injection and shaft drive? If so, what years did they start using FI and SD?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I became interested in this bike for the simple reason that to me it look like a good deal. So now I'm going through the process of figuring out if it's a good idea to pull the trigger. To be honest, I've never even sat on a Shadow before...I am over 6 feet tall. I remember reading somewhere that the Shadow is not a comfortable bike for someone over 6 feet. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
We just bought my son a 02 ACE deluxe with only 1400 miles on it. They had it for $3800. on sale for $2965.00, we ended up getting it for the$2965 but got a $400. helmet a$300. jacket and $70 gloves all included and the bike already had a backrest leather saddle bags and a nice windshield on it. so if you take off all the extras it was like getting it for $2200.
I road it around the lot for at least a half hour to make sure everything was working good and no leaks or anything appearing after.
He has had it about 4 months now but has bee in bootcamp but still put on about 4000 miles since he bought it and absolutely no problems at all. I put it up on jack stands while he is away and start it and run it for about 15 minutes every week and it starts right up and runs great!
I would have no problem buying that but see if you can get some extras thrown in like we did and make sure you ride it first too to make sure everything is good. also check the tires for cracking in case they may be dry rotted, if so get some more money off so you can get some new tires.
They are great bikes and my son loves his, first bike for him BTW and I had to ride it home so he could get licensed and that gave me the bug to buy my Phantom, first bike in 20 years at 55.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
i didn't think about the tires and you're right. After 4,000 miles they probably show good thread, but, being 12 years old....they wouldn't be safe to ride on.
As for the fuel injection and shaft drive, are there later year shadows that use fuel injection and shaft drive? If so, what years did they start using fi and sd?
2010 for FI. SD is model dependant. Shadow Phantom, Aero and Spirit 750 were shaft-drive, the RS was not.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
I would suggest sitting on it and taking it for a spin before settling on a price. The Ace is pretty much bullet proof and is an awesome bike, but if you're over 6 feet tall, it might be a little cramped for your liking without a few mods such as forward controls and handlebar risers. I moved the foot controls up 7" on mine and it works for me. Less than $100. Another mod that I would suggest is a 38 tooth rear sprocket. The factory is 41 tooth and the 38 gives it sort of an "overdrive" feel at interstate speeds. Lowers the rpm down a bit so that it is not so buzzy. The ACE is a GREAT BIKE and I would recommend it to anyone. I've got a 2002 750 ACE with 25000 on the clock and these things will run to well over 100,000 miles with good maintenance. Don't worry about the chain. In my opinion they are more bullet proof than a shaft drive. People say you will hate the maintenance required, but most of those people have never had a modern bike with a chain. Peice of cake to take care of. Takes about 1 minute to adjust and I haven't had to adjust mine in about 10,000 miles. Wipe it clean and spray some chain wax on it and your good to go. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for taking the time and writing. I've decided to hold off until my budget allows me to purchase a more recent design with fuel injection and shaft drive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts