Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize this may sound like a very stupid question, but how can you tell if your clutch is slipping. We talk about it all the time, but just what does it feel like. I am sure some, "myself" would like to know.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
the reason I ask is, sometimes in 4th and 5th after shifting to them, it feels like it wants to buck, or slip a little. I am aware of making sure you are at a high enough speed to shift to these points. I can feather the throttle to smooth it out until my speed climbs a little.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hey TR,

Clutch slippage is when the clutch slips on the "flywheel". This typically happens when the clutch wears out beyond the minimum limits. On the Shadows, it can also be caused by the type of motor oil you are using because the clutches are "wet" (bathed in oil).

Typically, clutch slippage is easiest detected at higher motor load situations. To check for slippage at low speeds, start rolling about 5-10mph. Pull the clutch in, rev the motor to about 2000rpms and drop the clutch (you want to create a instant loading situation). If the bike doesn't lurch forward agressively and/or you don't bog down the motor, then your clutch is slipping. You can also check it by performing the same test at 45mph in 3rd or 4th gear. In more severe clutch slippage issues, you can detect slippage by rolling on the throttle hard in 3rd gear (about 40mph) and if the motor revs up faster than your speed increases then you have slippage.

Now, I wouldn't do either of these tests on a busy highway. These are best performed on a deserted street as neither case is "safe". And, you don't want to do this very often as dumping the clutch is not good for the motor, clutch, or drivetrain.

Hope this answers your question. I am sure that someone else (like Litnin) will chime in with a more detailed explanation.

Joe

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
trjam said:
so basically the little lurching feeling in 4th and 5th is due to not having enough speed?
That is correct. I don' usually shift into 4th around 45mph and into fifth around 60mph, but adding 5 mph to each of these is not a bad for normal good smooth acceleration.

The shadows don't mind reving they are not lugging engines like the harleys.

Clutch slippage will often be most apparent in the upper gears - say twist the throttle hard in 4th gear at 45 and the engine accelerates but the MPH remains relatively stable.
Lower gears offer a mechanical advantage so it's more difficult to feel the slipping.

The clutches if not abused will last a long time in the shadows.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.