Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a whole new exhaust is installed, and the carburetor is rejetted properly. Is a K&N filter necessary to achieve maximimum performance? Will it really make a difference when it is compared to a clean OEM filter? Just looking for points of view. Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Anytime you can make an engine breathe easier the better.

I will be doing the Bean Box mod to my Shadow Spirit, V+H Cruisers, and getting my bike Dyno Jetted all at the same time.

It is best to do all the mods together so you don't have to re-jet over and over.

·
Banned
28 Posts
mark v said:
It is best to do all the mods together so you don't have to re-jet over and over.
i had a stock 06 aero and i wanted better sound from it. i decided on gutting the stock pipes and i was told that i would most likely have to rejet. i was also told that if i decided on going to the k&n filter and get rid if the air box (snorkel) later that i would need to rejet again. well i ain't one to do things like that more than once so i did it all at the same time. the bike now runs great. i don't know which part had the most effect but i am thrilled that i did it. i really didn't want more performance just better sound. it was a big bonus the performance gains. i plan on getting it onto a dyno soon to see just how much i gained. if money isn't that big of the issue than go for it.

bill

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I am just chiming in to see how this thread goes. This as the subject of some heated debate early last summer and I am sure it will spark some more this time around. :lol:

I have cobras and the K&N filter and had my bike re-jetted after both. I never had a chance to notice a difference but I am more then happy with the way my ol thumper hauls.
8)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It would be interesting to know if anyone has done a comparison after installing new pipes and rejetting. Using the K&N and using a clean OEM filter. It appears that most install the K&N at the same time jetting is done. So no one seems to have a point of reference. I just installed new pipes and rejetted. I did not change the filter as it is a relatively new OEM filter. The bike runs awesome now. Definite increase in power. At this point, will adding the K&N air filter provide any benefit?

·
Registered
335 Posts
If you jet for it, it will definitely have some benefit. Just how much, I don't know. I know on cars simply swapping for a k&n filter makes a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
423 Posts
davidnudel said:
It would be interesting to know if anyone has done a comparison after installing new pipes and rejetting. Using the K&N and using a clean OEM filter. It appears that most install the K&N at the same time jetting is done. So no one seems to have a point of reference. I just installed new pipes and rejetted. I did not change the filter as it is a relatively new OEM filter. The bike runs awesome now. Definite increase in power. At this point, will adding the K&N air filter provide any benefit?
I would say there should be a slight gain in power, but slight enough that it does not require a main jet change. Dynojet's recommendations are based on using a stock filter OR a K&N filter. The recommendations change ONLY for the different exhaust systems being used. The other gain with a K&N is not having to buy another filter. They recommend cleaning and re-oiling every 50,000 miles, so we're not likely to wear one out!

Brian

·
Registered
30 Posts
Plus when i put in my filter i gained a 3mpg and it paid for itself in the first month. then i chopped my exhaust and jetted the carb and "SLUUUUUUUUURP". So i couldnt imagine what it would be like without it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
On cars and some other FI engines, they can automap and adjust for increased airflow due to swapping in a more open filter.

But on carbureted engines if you don't adjust everything in tune with each other you can lose performance by changing just one or two things.

As mentioned, if you jet for it, or if the exhaust instructions call for an aftermarket filter, than sure, you can feel the difference.

FWIW, I have a K&N filter and I like it.
-K

G

·
0 Posts
I don't like K&N filters - they pass too much fine particulate dirt. A stock filter with a snorkelectomy will pass plenty of air in a Shadow. These are not high performance motors. An oiled foam filter (UNI) is reusable, gives long life, and filters better than a K&N.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I work for an auto parts chain here in Minnesota, and the "argument" that was made for buying a stock air filter is that since the holes are larger on a K&N filter that more dirt, etc. would be let into the engine. And if your ride has an actual air filter you could put two or three brand new air filters in for the cost of one K&N filter and recharge kit. Of course larger holes mean better air flow which usually means you go faster. Personally I use the stock filter. But then again I don't have all the go fast goodies on my Shadow either. Good luck!

·
Registered
43 Posts
8) Second what DynoBob said !!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
DynoBobSlick said:
I don't like K&N filters - they pass too much fine particulate dirt. A stock filter with a snorkelectomy will pass plenty of air in a Shadow. These are not high performance motors. An oiled foam filter (UNI) is reusable, gives long life, and filters better than a K&N.
I agree! I tryed the K&N on my sport ATV cause alot of people said they used it. Well, let me tell ya, I will NEVER run a K&N in ANYTHING I own. I almost wiped hard on a jump because it cut out as I hit it. Turns out the carb was full of really fine dirt particles and clogging the main jet! Needless to say, I threw the K&N in the garbage after I took a boot to it and crushed it. Now I only run the oiled foam UNI filters and the carb stays clean. I didn't notice a power increase between them anyway. Opening the airbox made the difference, not the filters.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Interesting, the different points of view. I guess the only real way to find out is to run a Dyno with the OEM filter than again with a K&N and compare. I wonder if any one out there has ever done this?

·
Registered
335 Posts
they did exactly that on a new Mustang on a show I was watching on TV and it made a 12 hp difference. Of course, they also exchanged the 'corrugated plastic' intake tube for a polished aluminum one with a spiral down the inside to make the air flow better, that could have also had some impact.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts