Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you that have Nomads how do you like them? I am 5'9" 200lbs, and 58 years young. I was wondering how they handle in the city. Do they feel heavy or awkward? especially riding 2 up? What the positives and negatives of the Nomad? Do the saddle bags seem big enough? How dependable are they compared to the Honda. I now ride a 750 Shadow Ace,which I ride to work 30 miles one way and have also taken trips with the wife and luggage on the back. We would cruise along at 70 to 75 mph but there wasn't much left to pass if needed. I like to gas milage I get with the 750 which is 50 to 55 mpg. How does the Nomad compare?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Nomad

I do not own a Nomad but ride a Kawa 1600 Classic. I have ridden several Nomads and love them. They are actually better at slow speed than my Classic, a very easy bike to ride, good power, very comfortable. The Nomad fits me very well and I am 5'9", 175. Great choice, go for it.

Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Re: Nomad

deeppurple52 said:
I do not own a Nomad but ride a Kawa 1600 Classic. I have ridden several Nomads and love them. They are actually better at slow speed than my Classic, a very easy bike to ride, good power, very comfortable. The Nomad fits me very well and I am 5'9", 175. Great choice, go for it.

Enjoy the ride!
Pretty much a ditto from me except I'm 5'8" and 165#.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I bought mine new in January of '03. At first, the bike was a handful when turning at < 5mph, but after I had it for a couple of months it wasn't a problem. Other than that, it's a great bike. I average about 40mpg. The bags are more than adequate for my needs, but I don't take any overnight trips. It's not exactly nimble in the twisties, but handles well enough for me. It's smooth as glass on the Interstate, even in high winds, and there is plenty of reserve power at 80mph. I'm not aware of any maintenance / reliability issues, except that I would avoid the 99 model unless the Plastic Oil Gear has been replaced. I replaced the rear tire at 12k, but everything else was just preventative maintenance.

I am 99.99% happy with my choice, although there are always times I wish for a sportbike, chopper, or Gold Wing. Check out VROC and Gadget's Nomad page for the latest info.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nomad Classic

Steve is right. I have the '99' Classic and had the oil gear replaced. Other than that no problems. And, it is nice and smooth on the highway.

·
Registered
188 Posts
nomad

I don't know about the nomad, but i had a 750 ACE and i swicthed for a Vulcan 1500 Classic FI after 4 years. No regrets so far. The Vulcan is smoother, more powerfull, handles very well, has more ground clearence than the ACE, best value for your money for bikes over 750.
I am 5'10", 200#, 50yrs young.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just sold a 04 Nomad ,and purchased a Magna 750. I had no trouble slow or fast riding with my nomad. 2 up was getting a little ruff on my old legs, and my wife now rides her own scoot, so I did not need the Nomad any more . I bought the Nomad new and put 35,000 miles on it in just over 2 years. If I wanted or needed a 2 up bike again I would not hesitate to buy another. BTW do not use dunlop tires go for Mech. commanders or Met 880's .JM750

1 - 8 of 8 Posts