Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have seen many really nice looking bikes in this form. I don't think everybody is out there cleaning and polishing twice a week to keep them that way. I found and nice 600 last week brought it home and gave it some serious attention just last saturday. Tonight, I went out to the garage uncovered it to find alot of the work I did looks almost as bad as when I started. Most of the aluminium and some of the crome. I do live 1/4 mile from the coast, but it is in the garage and covered. What do you use to keep use so nice? Thank you for any advice you can offer.
Dusty

·
Registered
209 Posts
In your location I think a good blast of air created by a brisk ride on the PCH at least once a day would work best. I'm over in New Mexico on the southeast side. We get nasty dust on anything sitting still here, but my bike stays clean due to frequent use.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
My secret

First, wear older glasses with scratches. Mine are outdated, and without the bi-focals the doctor says I need, I can't see the dirt. Also, when you take pictures of your bike, use a soft filter, or focus on something just out of the depth of field, so that the dirt is slightly blurred and won't show. Or, for a nice touch, take the picture with a nice looking female next to it. No one will notice the dirt, LOL. Jim

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It get the dust in the garage, I'm a cabinet maker. And my glasses are older than dirt. So does that mean I'm in real trouble if I get the new spec's and really see this thing?

G

·
0 Posts

First you need to totally soak the bike before washing
Soft terry towels worke better then a sponge for removing dirt
Aluminum is gonna require elbow grease, followed by a good wax to seal all that polishing work.
A few coats of liquid glass ( allowing them to bake in the sun between coats will give you all the sparkle you need on your chrome and great depth on the paint.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hey CD

I bet you get plenty of "bikers waves" when you ride in that get-up in your pic. lol

·
Registered
233 Posts
One neat solution to getting all the water removed from the hard spots you can't get to after washing the bike is a "leaf blower". In a way, I am glad my eye sight is not what it used to be. The bike looks real nice after I wash it. However, if I shine the 1,000,000 candle power lite on it, I see a lot of dirt I missed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Lemon Pledge + soft rag.

Result: shiny, plus a nice lemon scent. :p

No really, it works! Even helps bead water.

G

·
0 Posts
Bowlbug said:
Hello I have seen many really nice looking bikes in this form. I don't think everybody is out there cleaning and polishing twice a week to keep them that way.
Digital pictures are deceptive. You won't see small flaws or minimal amounts of dirt. Try buying a bike (or anything really) on Ebay and you'll see what I mean :wink:

I just wash the bike when it's really really dirty and wax it once a year if I'm lucky. The best thing you can do is store it out of the weather when not riding.

Dave, nooooooooooooooo :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts