Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who here hasn't seen a single mom on a limited budget driving an old car, always breaking down. She don't know anything about auto repair and can do nothing. At the mercy of a mechanic. He's the cheapest mechanic in town because he's all she can afford and that itself could exacerbate the problem. Somebody buys an old bike. May be the best bike he can afford. Needs a lot of work but he's just never been a wrench and just can't keep it running. I'd love to help both but I've only got so much time and resources, and I've got my own stuff too. My stepson begs me to sell him my old BSA. He knows NOTHING about British motorcycles and they need a fair amount of work. Even a perfect one needs to be tended on a regular basis. Nothing like a modern Japanese bike. I've seen the first two examples over and over and over.

·
Registered
607 Posts
i've been the desperate person with a cheap car. you have to network some and see who can do the work and hopefully give you a break, or start paging through chiltons or haynes manuals.

i didn't come from a very mechanicly inclined family (my brother will call me to help him change a tire), so i kinda learned as best i could along the way. "desperation mechanics" is what i call it. i can do some basics, and if i go to someone i can at least understand what i'm being told. no one can pull a "broken johnson rod" trick on me.

also here there's a shop that does (or did. i don't know if they still do it) like a ladies night out. they invited women, or anyone really, to come and get some basic auto knowledge. checking oil levels and tire pressure and other simple things. that could help some.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've always made a living repairing and/or maintaining one type or another piece of machinery. I've seen folks who for one reason or another were never exposed to it and have never had a real interest. If they have some means of earning enough money to pay someone else, fine. Those unfortunate individuals who don't have the background and/or simply aren't capable of learning but yet can't afford to hire it done are in a sad position.
A big part I think in my ability to earn a living doing it is because I love doing it. My hobby, my passion. I can fully understand those who don't feel this way. They'd just better plan on being able to pay someone else.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
I'd agree that if you have limited funds and want to ride/drive older machines than you'd better get acquainted with mechanics/electronics fast, and that those who can't or won't are in a bad position. I've got the best of both worlds really so I consider myself lucky. I really enjoy mechanics so I can hold my own, but I also have (2) brothers who are class A mechanics. I've never paid for labor...so that is a blessing.

·
Registered
17,923 Posts
Not open to the public, so to speak...
My mechanic ability is available for anyone in need...
I get folks into the shop to teach them how to & hands on mechanicing basics...
Oil changes, tires coolant TCLOCS etc... , our Broke Biker Missions...
If you can turn a wrench, the rest is easy...
Only Rarely, will Honda Buck$ trade hands,
D

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
i've been the desperate person with a cheap car. you have to network some and see who can do the work and hopefully give you a break, or start paging through chiltons or haynes manuals.

i didn't come from a very mechanicly inclined family (my brother will call me to help him change a tire), so i kinda learned as best i could along the way. "desperation mechanics" is what i call it. i can do some basics, and if i go to someone i can at least understand what i'm being told. no one can pull a "broken johnson rod" trick on me.

also here there's a shop that does (or did. i don't know if they still do it) like a ladies night out. they invited women, or anyone really, to come and get some basic auto knowledge. checking oil levels and tire pressure and other simple things. that could help some.
My local HD dealership hosts a "ladies garage night"

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Not open to the public, so to speak...
My mechanic ability is available for anyone in need...
I get folks into the shop to teach them how to & hands on mechanicing basics...
Oil changes, tires coolant TCLOCS etc... , our Broke Biker Missions...
If you can turn a wrench, the rest is easy...
Only Rarely, will Honda Buck$ trade hands,
D
You're a good man Captain D. I've only recently gotten into bike mechanics but I am getting the tools together to do the same.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I love older bikes... but then I can do pretty much anything to do with bikes/cars,

Older bikes can been a drain when you first get them finding the little things that have been missed for many years, nice to have a backup bike for a while as you wait for pars to arrive etc :p

Once you have worked your way through the bike you can trust it .... and it has character

But if you have no idea about bikes/ vehicles and not willing to learn stay away from them :p

·
Registered
711 Posts
Double-edged sword.

We never had money to pay someone to work on our stuff. Dad told me he wouldn't fix it, but he'd help me do it and show me when needed. Now, I cringe at paying someone to do it.

Also, I tend to look at things and say, "well, that's got another season or two in it". And tend to put up with things that would drive others mad if they had to deal with it. Two sides to it, I guess.

Recently got into tinkering with motorcycles. With a steep learning curve, I've re-jetted the carbs, changed the front tire and have been making the 'ol girl my own over the past few months. Problem is, I've been tinkering on the bike and the cars are feeling jealous! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
Who here hasn't seen a single mom on a limited budget driving an old car, always breaking down. She don't know anything about auto repair and can do nothing....
Used to love doing free work on stuff for single mom's. Some of them were really grateful... ;)

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
Be thankful you have good health so you can work on your machines. I am slowly forgetting how to repair my vehicles due to early Alzheimer's. The worst is my Heart problems, I do not have the stamina to work on mine any way. I can work for about 5 minutes before I have to sit and rest before I collapse. My bike has been down for a couple of months and can not figure out what's wrong. I have been on disability for years and have just enough money to get by. I may not ever ride again, so be thankful for what you have.

·
Registered
711 Posts
How about a full shot of your cars?
Sure!

Here's my '32 Chevy two-door sedan. My best friend's dad bought it in 1961, tore it apart and put it in their barn. It sat there until he passed away with cancer. I bought it from his widow. It's currently got a 350 in it with an overdrive transmission. My dad and I installed an independent front suspension and my son and I installed the late-model rear end. It'll be the family truckster when finished.

This one is my '27 Model T roadster pickup. It's been a long-term project for sure! It's got a 1956 Desoto Hemi engine in it with '40 Ford axles and '35 Ford wheels on a Model A frame. Pick up bed is original model T but the body is fiberglass. Grill is an old, cut-down hot rod's from the '60s.

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
Sure!

Here's my '32 Chevy two-door sedan. My best friend's dad bought it in 1961, tore it apart and put it in their barn. It sat there until he passed away with cancer. I bought it from his widow. It's currently got a 350 in it with an overdrive transmission. My dad and I installed an independent front suspension and my son and I installed the late-model rear end. It'll be the family truckster when finished.

This one is my '27 Model T roadster pickup. It's been a long-term project for sure! It's got a 1956 Desoto Hemi engine in it with '40 Ford axles and '35 Ford wheels on a Model A frame. Pick up bed is original model T but the body is fiberglass. Grill is an old, cut-down hot rod's from the '60s.
Thanks for taking the time to post these.

That 32 looks awesome as is.....do you plan on painting it or leaving it as a 'semi-restored' survivor? Love that it's not all cut up.

Keep us posted on the '27 too.....interested in your plans for that. A DeSoto hemi....bet that gets some looks too.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Be thankful you have good health so you can work on your machines. I am slowly forgetting how to repair my vehicles due to early Alzheimer's. The worst is my Heart problems, I do not have the stamina to work on mine any way. I can work for about 5 minutes before I have to sit and rest before I collapse. My bike has been down for a couple of months and can not figure out what's wrong. I have been on disability for years and have just enough money to get by. I may not ever ride again, so be thankful for what you have.

I wish I lived closer...I'd drop by to take a look. We must have some members out in KY that could lend a hand. Guys?
I live less than 50 miles from neighbor 7Xclm1954, and will gladly help.
Two problems:
(1.) currently working my "retirement job" nearly 70 hrs. a week.
(2.) troubleshooting bikes is not my strong point, but can turn wrenches....have built several competition small block Chevys.....can degree a cam / read mikes / rebuild Holleys, etc. but could only help on his bike if we KNEW what we were fixing, and when I get some time freed up.
Not sure that helps much.
If you guys with more two wheel wrench experience can help troubleshoot it, I'll try to help him.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Being the only paycheck in a family of 5, I usually don't have the money to pay someone to do work for me.

Thankfully, my dad was in a very similar position when I was little so he was always the one fixing stuff. Being a certified mechanic he had the car knowledge, and his dad being a wood work hobbyist gave him that.

I learned a lot from him and branched out on my own. I now know more about it than he does, but now that me and my siblings are grown, he can afford to and does just pay someone to do it for him. If I'm not available to do it for free that is.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts