Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in making my bike as minimalist as possible. I have an 83 vt750c and want to make it a kick start is that possible?

·
Registered
16,272 Posts
Kick start you ask???

My 71CB750 Cussed`em I mounted a starter push button on the sidecover and would mess with the Harley riders what HADTO kickstart theirs...
I simply lifted my right leg to put my ankle on that push button and said, "Kick Start!"...

I dunno IF there`s a way to make yours Kick Start or not, but figured I`d share a laugh this morning...

Merry mas...
Yeah it`s just ain`t right without Christ!!!
Merry Christmas

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Short answer, no.

Long answer, no it is not possible to make your bike a kick start bike. There is gearing and springs and cogs and all kinds of other parts besides the kick start pedal that are needed for this.
You could find a kick start motor from another bike and put the whole thing into your frame, but the kick start mechanism has to be built into the motor design from the get go.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I think they went out in the early '80's, look for a bike older than that.Cheaper if not possible to convert. I remember them before electronic ignitions that would not fire if the voltage fell below 10 volts but you could kick start them with no drain on the battery if it was weak.Battery's have gotten a lot better.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yep, entirely possible.
Care to elaborate? Usually adding a kick start requires completely re-engineering the starting system and the associated transmission shafts. No to mention a modified side cover for said shaft to poke out of.

Unless you're a VERY competent machinist and engineer, I wouldn't even give a kick start a 2nd thought. From all my research through the years (and currently owning 4 bikes with a kick start), unless it comes as such from the factory, you won't be able to put one on...

·
Premium Member
6,958 Posts
Kick start? I'm guessing you're young enough to never owned a bike with a kick start or you wouldn't even think about it. A lot of new blue words were invented between kicks.

·
Premium Member
2,604 Posts
Care to elaborate? Usually adding a kick start requires completely re-engineering the starting system and the associated transmission shafts. No to mention a modified side cover for said shaft to poke out of.

Unless you're a VERY competent machinist and engineer, I wouldn't even give a kick start a 2nd thought. From all my research through the years (and currently owning 4 bikes with a kick start), unless it comes as such from the factory, you won't be able to put one on...
Yes, understood. It would take a hell of a lot of work and fabrication. I was just telling him it was indeed possible if he really had his heart set on it.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
A starter motor takes up minimal space on a bike, wondering why it's an obtrusive item when you can barely see it, in the quest for minimalism? That said, dunno why a detachable kick-start pedal, compact enough to store in the saddlebags, wasn't an option on a bike in the event the battery stranded you. Probably manufacturing costs. Btw, a kick starter has to have a means to disengage as soon as the engine starts up. Otherwise, the kickstarter pedal turns into a propeller.

·
Premium Member
2,604 Posts
Really. Not everything is workable. You really have no way of knowing if it can be done or not.
Maybe it's more my take on life than anything else. I've learned over the course of a long life that just about the time you tell a person something can't be done, they up and present you with it. Seems to me, I remember quite a few years back there was a kit available for converting electric start Viragos to kick starters, but the details escape me at my age now.

I really believe if someone wants to do something bad enough and has either the technical skills or access to someone with the skills, and is willing to put in the time and research necessary to accomplish their dream, they can do it.

·
Premium Member
2,604 Posts
A starter motor takes up minimal space on a bike, wondering why it's an obtrusive item when you can barely see it, in the quest for minimalism? That said, dunno why a detachable kick-start pedal, compact enough to store in the saddlebags, wasn't an option on a bike in the event the battery stranded you. Probably manufacturing costs. Btw, a kick starter has to have a means to disengage as soon as the engine starts up. Otherwise, the kickstarter pedal turns into a propeller.
They'd probably have to go back to the days of magnetos in bikes, and generators in cars. I remember in my youth having stone dead batteries in our cars and calling up our buddies or a willing neighbor to give us a push start. That's something you never see any more since alternators came along.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've an emergency kick starter on my '76 GL1000. Stores nicely in the toolbox.

Also, both my XS650's have them. My '81 is a bobber and is ONLY kick, as starter removal shaves about 9-10 lbs off the bike and cleans up the electrical and motor nicely. Plus gives you a clean place to mount an electrics box.

My '76 CB750, GL1000 both kick over VERY nicely, even with the CB having 10.5:1 compression. The XS's are a little different, as yamahas 360 degree parallel twin made piston movements a little difficult. But with proper technique, it's no trouble.

but to be honest, you can't really look any cooler than kick starting a bike. People would always give me a 2nd or 3rd look when I kick started any of my bikes. Even ones that never noticed a bike before!

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Maybe it's more my take on life than anything else. I've learned over the course of a long life that just about the time you tell a person something can't be done, they up and present you with it. Seems to me, I remember quite a few years back there was a kit available for converting electric start Viragos to kick starters, but the details escape me at my age now.

I really believe if someone wants to do something bad enough and has either the technical skills or access to someone with the skills, and is willing to put in the time and research necessary to accomplish their dream, they can do it.
While I agree in one aspect, the type of person that has the knowledge and skill to do this type of conversion does not ask on a forum "is that possible".

With enough time and money, almost anything is possible, but is it worthwhile? You are probably looking at $10,000 or more for the special machine skills, fabrication, and work that would need to be done for it. Even if you are doing it all yourself, you still have a lot of machining to do, as well as just figuring out how to transfer the downward motion of the kick to a rotational motion needed to start, all fitting within the confines of what is already there.

Plus, not sure what the compression is on the '83, could be quite a bear to kick start it, and once kickback from the motor is all it takes to make you curse ever doing it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
sometimes i ask questions (not necessarily here) just in hopes someone will tell me i cant do it. then it pushes me to dig even deeper, researching the possibilities. i never would have gotten this far in life if people never told me what i cant do. however, sometimes you just gotta learn the hard way.

my advice to the OP is learn how a kick start actually works. get into the inner workings on how in one or two kicks it can spontaneously start the motions of a running engine. once you understand that, only you can say if its possible or not. but i think what the OP was actually wanting to know is if there is a kit available, or if anyone has ever done this conversion. as far as i know, the answer is no. ive looked hahaha.

i would like to leave you all with this meme that i found fitting for this thread...

·
Registered
12,154 Posts
That last link didn't seem to work right.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
wow im shocked this thread blew up this fast. thank you all for your responses. this is my first bike and i have really big dreams for it including a custom gas tank and a double wishbone front end suspension. the current motor i have has seized and if im going to be rebuilding it then i want it to be kickstart for both the cool factor and the minimalist look. i know there are ways to make a starter and other components to blend or not be seen but i like a challenge. But, i dont think i will be turning this motor into a kickstart. I should rebuild a few engines before i get to carried away. thanks for the reality check and great ideas and a few laughs.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts