Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember reading about someone who lowered the back end of their bike and was able to modify the kickstand height by moving the kickstand up about an inch, if I remember correctly.

Anyone know how this would be done - even better, if you were the individual who originally mentioned this, can you please elaborate.

Thanks

·
Registered
294 Posts
Maybe I didn't understand that quite right, But it's impossible to lower a bike by raising the kickstand up and inch. The kick stand mount isn't going to move from the frame, therefore not lowering the bike.

If you lower the bike 3 inches then you have to modify the kickstand because when the in leaned on the kickstand it'll sit almost straight up, and won't have enough lean, They do that by either buying a shorter kickstand, Or heating it up and bending it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
What bikervas meant was that AFTER you lower the rear is moving the kickstand mount forward a good alternative to buying a shorter one or bending the stock one.

I have no anwer but I thought that I would clear that up.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Epic said:
They do that by either buying a shorter kickstand, Or heating it up and bending it.
Where would you actually bend the kickstand? Not experienced with this, but I was wondering if heating the kickstand would discolor it (turn it blue)?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I bent mine up by heating it to red hot and leaning on the bike till I got the right angle. I actually heated mine up in two places and bent it twice, but I don't think you'd have to do that on a more modern bike.

Yes, it does discolor the metal. Mine wasn't decently chromed to start with so I just sanded off the discoloration and clear coated it. Here's a pic (the one on the left was a trial one that I only bent once and you can see the discoloration, the one on the right is my finished one)

in my own search for kickstand ideas, I came across some instructions for a vlx lowering kit from scootworks.com. At the end, they discuss adjusting the kickstand angle. Here's what they say:

A simple method to alter the angle of the stand with a torch is to heat the kickstand, just below the lower spring tab, until the kickstand is soft enough to bend. Heat the kickstand until red hot in the desired location of bend. Lean the bike against the stand until the desired angle is obtained, then allow the stand to cool on it's own (DO NOT quench the stand with cold water!). I've altered many kickstands with this method successfully, and never had a failure.

Another method, is to place the kickstand in a hydraulic metal brake, and bend it just below the lower spring tab, about 15 degrees. This is my preference, and is about a 5 minute job. It typically does minimal damage to the chrome on the stand.

Other riders have removed the stand, cut it from it's hinge, and re-welded it at an increased angle. I've never tried this method, but have seen it done several times with success.

Another good and inexpensive solution for many bikes is to remove material from the front of the kickstand stop, allowing it to pivot further forward when deployed.

Once the kickstand angle has been altered to the desired angle, grind or file a small amount of metal from the kickstand "up stop", located on the frame. This is the small area that the kickstand contacts when in the "up" position. This will allow the kickstand to tuck in cleanly and very close to the frame when in the "up" position, and lessen the likelihood of dragging in hard left turns.

·
Registered
294 Posts
bikervas said:
Epic said:
They do that by either buying a shorter kickstand, Or heating it up and bending it.
Where would you actually bend the kickstand? Not experienced with this, but I was wondering if heating the kickstand would discolor it (turn it blue)?

Thanks
Yes, more then likely it would blue. I'd think they would bend it more toward the bottom. Okay I see what you meant, You could, but you'd have to make a new mount on the frame, and if your bike is like mine, it has a switch to turn the bike off if kickstand is down, so you'd have to extend that also. Depending on the bike you drive, I know on my ACE the left crankcase cover wouldn't let you do so.

I've never done it myself, but I've heard of it quite often.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I had an old Harley, Low Rider, I lowered the rear, then the kickstand made the bike stand too vertical.
A real biker guy used a torch, put the stand in a vise, heated it until it would bend. Nothing to it. If it's not bent enough, try again. If it's bent too much, try again. It's only metal.....

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I posted a similiar thread at Delphi. One of the members there was familiar with the original post that I mentioned and offered to help.

His response was:

"... You have 2 bolts that hold your kickstand on to your bike. Have someone hold the bike up or put it on a stand. Remove the 2 bolts you will see that holds the kickstand and switch. Both comes off together. I used 2 large nuts for spacers for now. Put the longer bolts back thru the same holes the short ones come out of on the kickstand. Put the nuts or some kind of thick plate between the kickstand and mounting plate. Tighten the bolts. You will see that this raises the kickstand letting you lean the bike more now. I plan on making me a plate with predrilled holes for a spacer later to replace the nuts I am using . This was a quick fix for now to see how it worked..."

I think I will install my Progressive 412's in mid March and see where I will go from there. It's good to know that the kind people here and at Delphi have provided several good options.

Thanks again to all - Vas

·
Registered
50 Posts
After lowering my bike, I used 2 flat washers between the kickstand and mounting plate rather than nuts. It left the bike leaning just about right when parked.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Go with the easy fix for your problem. Use the washers. I've asked this question before and this was the most-offered solution. As well as the easiest to do.

·
Registered
628 Posts
You may not need to mess with the kickstand at all. Three years ago I lowered my 01 ACE about 2 1/2" in the rear by going to Progressive 11" shocks, and have had no problems whatsoever. The only thing I avoid is parking in places that slope too much to the right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts