Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was the victim of the Kill Switch Prank tonight.
It was dark when I finished at the fitness center.
Bike wouldn't start regardless of choke/throttle settings.
I ran the battery down trying.
Wouldn't push-start.
Finally realized what was happening when it wouldn't start with jumper cables.

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
wow that sounds like a bummer. On the bright side at least that's all it was.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Apparently people have time on their hands. I've had my kill switch flipped so many times I automatically check it every time before turning on the ignition. Wonder if there is a way to rig up a shock box to that switch to deter pranksters from messing with other people's property?

·
Registered
563 Posts
I learned to check that switch early on. If the bike does not start right up I look at it first.

They should interlock the starter with that switch so it won't crank. That would save batteries.

I parked my 1100 Spirit at a Harley dealer to get some gloves and when I came out the kill switch was off. I was feeling good I found it right away and when I got a few blocks out the bike stumbled a bit and I knew right away he got my gas lever too.

Chalk it up to a learning experience. You'll never forget that again.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I learned to check that switch early on. If the bike does not start right up I look at it first.

They should interlock the starter with that switch so it won't crank. That would save batteries.
A lot of other models/brands will not crank if the switch is off.I too had this problem when I first got my 800.Took me a few minutes to figger it out.
;) :)

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Heck, I did it to myself once, took the cover off the bike and in doing so it must have moved the switch. I never use it and didn't think to check it until my battery was close to dead, flipped the switch and it fired right up.

·
Registered
16,832 Posts
I`ve bumped mine several times, several different ways ~ However, it won`t turn over when the kill switch is engaged, I`m glad...

Merry Christmas,
Dennis

·
Registered
42 Posts
Are we talking about the kill switch on the handlebar or something different?

Just curious.

·
Registered
549 Posts
due to a step up, I have to pull into the barn under power. Once inside I hit the kill switch so I won't have an unfortunate accident maneuvering on the slick floor....
That's the only time I use the kill switch, but I check it nearly every-time... it's also interlocked.
I could envision a 500lb motorcycle on top of my wood stove

·
Registered
06' VT1100C99' GL1500C Valkyrie
8,629 Posts
A lesson learned. Part of MC life but to blame somebody for your lack of thought well... What I'm saying is I've accidently hit the EKS and its the 1st thing I check when the bike doesn't start immediately.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I'm strongly considering removing the switch....

I've had a few people switch mine off. Didn't really piss me off as much as annoy me.... Childish.

I have never needed to use it, and I think it's better for the engine to let it idle for a few being turning it off... I think the only time I have was when I was just being lazy.

Safety? Yeah, I have a hard time imagining a realistic scenario where it would be needed.

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
Maybe i'm thinking too much here but...

On colder days when your bike hasn't been run for a few days does anyone think it might be a good idea to turn over the bike Engine a few times with the Kill switch *ON* (activated- no spark) in order to circulate some oil throughout the engine before firing it up???

Thoughts?

·
Registered
334 Posts
So like are these just random people shutting it off in a parking lot or friends of yours? I can understand friends doing it as a prank but for random people to do it is just wrong. I would for sure be having a long heated discussion with some random person if I came out and caught them leaning over my bike to turn off the kill switch. Where has peoples respect for others and there things gone?? Now if it were a friend then yeah I guess I could live with it and get them back at a later date. lol.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I can't believe this is an issue. I thought it was NORMAL to flip the kill switch to turn off the bike when parking.

Starting: Insert key-> mount-> petcock-> kickstand -> switch-> crank
Parking: switch-> kickstand-> petcock-> dismount-> grab the key

Learned that in day 1 of MSF class. o_O

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
I'm strongly considering removing the switch....

I've had a few people switch mine off. Didn't really piss me off as much as annoy me.... Childish.

I have never needed to use it, and I think it's better for the engine to let it idle for a few being turning it off... I think the only time I have was when I was just being lazy.

Safety? Yeah, I have a hard time imagining a realistic scenario where it would be needed.
What would you do if you crashed and the engine was still running? How would you kill the motor is you went down on the left side(keyswitch side) and couldn't turn it off?

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
I can't believe this is an issue. I thought it was NORMAL to flip the kill switch to turn off the bike when parking.

Starting: Insert key-> mount-> petcock-> kickstand -> switch-> crank
Parking: switch-> kickstand-> petcock-> dismount-> grab the key

Learned that in day 1 of MSF class. o_O
Don't believe everything they told you in MSF class as being the gospel. I have couple friends who are MSF trainers and they don't turn the killswitch or petcock off.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Maybe i'm thinking too much here but...

On colder days when your bike hasn't been run for a few days does anyone think it might be a good idea to turn over the bike Engine a few times with the Kill switch *ON* (activated- no spark) in order to circulate some oil throughout the engine before firing it up???

Thoughts?
Not necessary at all.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
A lesson learned. Part of MC life but to blame somebody for your lack of thought well... What I'm saying is I've accidently hit the EKS and its the 1st thing I check when the bike doesn't start immediately.
1+ I would bet that 90% of the time when someone finds their killswitch off they blame it on someone else and they probably did themselves. Pretty easy to flip the switch accidently.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts