Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy just told me about a Q&A reply in one of his many biker mags regarding tires. The question was "Can a rear tire (thicker tread) can be mounted on the front?"

I expected the reply to be "Ahhhh.....NO!" but instead the answer was "Yes". The secret is to mount the tire backwards.

Front tires are designed for torsion from braking, rears the opposite torsion for acceleration. Whether you can convince a tire shop to mount tires ass-backwards is another matter but you home-schoolers could do it.

Food for thought.

·
Registered
2005 Honda VTX 1300R
1,097 Posts
Whether you can convince a tire shop to mount tires ass-backwards is another matter but you home-schoolers could do it.
Convince them? They'll most likely do it accidentally. :mrgreen:

A few years ago I got new tires on the '94 Mustang I had at the time. The tires were loud as **** and didn't drive well. Come to find out that a couple of them were on backwards. Took the car back in to have them fix it and they were still on backwards. Never went back to that place.

·
Registered
256 Posts
That rule is true if you are mounting a rear motorcycle tire on the front of a motorcycle. If you are dark-siding (that is, using a car tire on the motorcycle) then the tire's rotation should remain the way it is indicated, not reversed. This is an important distinction.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Don't mind David, he's taken a few too many blows to the head.
Too many blows to my head or not, I stand by my statement.

Car tires mounted on a motorcycle (dark-siding) should not be mounted with their rotation reversed irrespective of whether you mount it on the front or the rear. A rear motorcycle tire mounted on the front, should (though I have never heard of that called "dark-siding" or "double-dark-siding" or "half-dark-siding", etc.) have its rotation reversed.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Just curious? Why would someone want to use a car tire on a MC at all, other than just because they can? Aren't tread patterns and construction (such sidewall traction on a car tire) important differences re: handling and overall safety?

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
Just curious? Why would someone want to use a car tire on a MC at all, other than just because they can? Aren't tread patterns and construction (such sidewall traction on a car tire) important differences re: handling and overall safety?
search button is your friend on this sensitive topic.;)

also you will get better answers from a site that is about riding on the darkside. see General Discussion

at this site you won't get info from people who have no clue about what they are talking about, rather all members on that site ride the darkside as do I. Also see my own review at http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/53...ience-darkside.html?highlight=review+darkside

mark

·
Registered
6,153 Posts

As "car tires" are always a hotly debated topic, and since this thread is really about using a rear motorcycle tire on the front of a bike, you should probably use the search function and search "darkside" on this site. You will see all the debates, pros and cons that there are.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.