Honda Shadow Forums banner

Knee/Shin protection

3K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  markspike 
#1 ·
OK, how about posting some ideas and/or pics of some creative ideas on how to keep your knees and shins warmer next winter. I started riding again this past March after 28 years and forgot how cold the wind chill gets at highway speeds when your in Maryland and it's 35 degrees out. The wind chill gets to about 12 degrees on the road.

#3 ·
Polar tech thermal bottoms and tops, blue jeans and Leather Chaps. I also am a fan of Under Armour brand thermals, they are not bulky at all and keep you warm, the polar tech are a little thicker and much warmer. But if it gets that cold, the only thing I riding is the Cage!
Coop

#10 ·
Well, those all are not bad, but what about some imagination...How about baseball catcher shin guards, or medieval shin armor. I was thinking about a plastic or vinyl sheet in the shape of basic half leathers that run be slipped up under long pants and strap around the ankle and be taken off and rolled up for storage.

#12 ·
I guess we all thought you still were wanting to look cool or at least not goofy:p Those ideas would work though, you could always buy you a set of pleather over the knee boots too:p
I like my chaps, I can roll them up when it warms up, put them in a saddle bag or tie them to the sissy bar.
Coop

#13 ·
ok-ok

OK, seriously...I was told a pair of jeans, 2" longer than normal, is good for wind. The engine guard chaps look the most viable for quick on and off times getting to work on time. Coop...lighten up, sometimes the best ideas are an offshoot to the stupidest thoughts.

Attachments

#14 ·
OK, seriously...I was told a pair of jeans, 2" longer than normal, is good for wind. The engine guard chaps look the most viable for quick on and off times getting to work on time. Coop...lighten up, sometimes the best ideas are an offshoot to the stupidest thoughts.
I was just joking, the engine guard chaps are on my to do list after seeing this post. I agree get an idea and build on it!
Coop

#16 ·
So it's been a while since I asked this and I found an answer. I got a pair of Gaiters from Eastern Mountain Sports in Annapolis and found that not only does it layer great from the rain pants to keep the shoes dry, but they are good for the wind chill alone, also. In Maryland, we are getting only to the 50s so far, windchill to 30 degrees, still they work and fold up in the box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.