Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay friends, I need help diagnosing a new "knock" sound that is happening on occasion.

When I am going roughly 5-10 MPH, I hear this new little "knock" sound. It sounds like it's coming from the front wheel or up front somewhere. It's not a repetitive sound that sounds like it's associated with a wheel turning. It's more random. I am really struggling to locate what could be making the noise. I've heard it with brake engaged or not engaged, and in gear or in neutral.

It seems like it could be suspention related ... but I can't figure out what in the front suspention would cause a "knock" sound.

Anyone had anything like this? I've checked the fender, lightbar, speedo, and everything on the front end for tightness, and found no loose bolts/nuts. I'm kind of at a loss. I haven't noticed any change in handling ... just this annoying little single knock that randomly happens.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Might not be it, but I did have a similar problem once. Turned out I'd just put a new front tire on the bike with pretty deep tread, and it loved to pick up rocks and the noise was caused by them being knocked off by the back of the fender. I adjusted the fender, no more noise.

One thing you might want to do is clean and grease your speedometer drive, and check the wheel bearings while it's apart. Did you check the steering neck bearings?

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
When was oil change in the forks last? Fork valves springs and bushings can make noise if they are not being lubed. Rocks in tread good and check and lube speedo drive and cable, and wheel bearings. Make sure brake pads are not backing off a little or something is loose

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I just replaced my front wheel bearings a few months ago. My front tire is still fairly new, I'll check for the rock thing. Maybe it's just a rock jammed in the treat and stuck.

I rebuilt my front end suspension a few years ago with progressive springs and haven't touched it since.

·
Registered
11,505 Posts
Two more things to check is the speedo cable lube and open the headlight and make sure everything is tightened. If your lightbar is not solid mounted it could be bouncing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts