Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are taking our toy hauler down to Gloucester, VA for a long week the end of July. We're camping about 10 miles South of Virginia Motor Speedway on Rt. 17 and I'm looking for some good roads to ride in that area (day trips, etc.). I would appreciate anyone who's familiar with the area giving me a few ideas.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Passing through there on the way to Cape Hatteras a few times I really can't recall anything noteworthy. You could probably just mosey out to a few of the Tidewater fishing villages around there and find something quaint. But if it were me I'd just head for the Cape.

·
Registered
236 Posts
For a nice ride, take US 17 south to Yorktown. You can visit the battlefield.

Then get on the Colonial Parkway. This will take you north along the York river, to Williamsburg. You can park and take a walk through Colonial Williamsburg (or buy a visitors pass and visit the buildings in Colonial Williamsburg too).

Then take Jamestown Rd (Virginia 31) and visit Jamestown. After visiting Jamestown, get back on Jamestown Rd, and take it to the James River. You can take the Jamestown-Scotland Ferry (FREE) across the James River and continue south on VA 31 into Surry. Then go east on Virginia 10 and pick up US 258 to US 17. Take US 17 north over the James River and take it back to where you are staying. While you're over on the Surry side of the James River, you can visit some of the plantations too ($).

Checkout Mapquest or your favorite map site (or software). You can order the Virginia State Map and A Map of Scenic Roads in Virginia (Virginia Byways) from the Virginia DOT.

Jim
2001 Spirit 1100

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rick: Thanks for the warning about US58. That kind of attention I can do without!

Dawn: Looks like I'll miss the rally by a week. My reservations are for 8/4 - 8/12, but thanks for the info. BTW - How do you like VA now? That's one of the few states that I could move to. Beautiful country, nice roads and not too much traffic. :D

Wassup: Thanks for reminding me about those sites. I saved the links but forgot all about them.

JFUSA: The Jamestown / plantation thing sounds great. I'm going to plan on doing that one.

Thanks again to all! (Of course I'm only about 10 miles from some good dirt track racing, so I'll be doing that both weekends in addition to as many rides as I can get in.) :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts