Honda Shadow Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
18,130 Posts
ABATE of GA, has this bill on our agenda for the 2015 legislation session...

Lobby Day at the Capitol in Atlanta Jan. 21 to discuss our agenda with our law makers...

Join the MRO of your choice
Click on ABATEGA link in my signature for our newsletter
Dennis

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,582 Posts
I guess by the poll its not going to happen. I wonder why? Maybe most riders honestly believe 4+ wheeled vehicles already present enough danger to them. Should be a state level law not federal if any.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'm all for lane splitting but I'm also aware of human nature. There's always someone who wants to ride 40 MPH through stopped traffic. There's always going to be some disgruntled idiot driver who in a fit of roadrage, opens his door just as a cyclist passes, or angles his car to block the way. Anger and stupidity will result in some negative news stories and it will be stricken from traffic laws.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
I fail to see the validity of the reasoning behind this. Motorcycles make up a VERY small percentage of vehicles in traffic, so I fail to see how allowing them to lane split would have much if any impact on traffic congestion.

I also fail to see why just because someone's riding a motorcycle they feel they're entitled to 'special' privileges compared to other drivers using the same road. Personally, I'll just wait my turn like everyone else.

Just my .02 :wink:

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I'm all for lane splitting but I'm also aware of human nature. There's always someone who wants to ride 40 MPH through stopped traffic. There's always going to be some disgruntled idiot driver who in a fit of roadrage, opens his door just as a cyclist passes, or angles his car to block the way. Anger and stupidity will result in some negative news stories and it will be stricken from traffic laws.
i dont need to be protected from myself, nor to have my freedom curtailed more than it already has been. ill wear a helmet if and when i choose... after riding daily since 92 and splitting lanes through most of it, i would like my right to responsibly choose to be honoured. ive fought our war; built our homes; cared for the downtrodden; saved wild horses... i think i can handle my motorcycling decisions jusy fine, perhaps you dont trust yourself or others to the point of fear and restricting our freedoms in favor of some kind of faux "safety," but DONT TREAD ON ME...
cheers, and ride safely beezer, its just my humble opinion. :D

·
Registered
354 Posts
Actually Gypsy I'm very much in agreement with you on just about everything you mention. My thoughts on lane splitting were just my thoughts and reasons why I wouldn't even if it is legal. I've been in the military too and always follow the rules. I''m just old enough to have seen a lot of human nature. Add to that all the memories of all the really stupid things I've done myself and the wisdom of old age to remind me of how they turned out.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
i dont need to be protected from myself, nor to have my freedom curtailed more than it already has been. ill wear a helmet if and when i choose... after riding daily since 92 and splitting lanes through most of it, i would like my right to responsibly choose to be honoured. ive fought our war; built our homes; cared for the downtrodden; saved wild horses... i think i can handle my motorcycling decisions jusy fine, perhaps you dont trust yourself or others to the point of fear and restricting our freedoms in favor of some kind of faux "safety," but DONT TREAD ON ME...
cheers, and ride safely beezer, its just my humble opinion. :D
Ok... so should we pencil in lane splitting into Natural Law? How about "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Lane Splitting"? :mrgreen:

I just fail to see how abiding by the current traffic laws is 'restricting' anyone's freedoms. Is forcing me to drive/ride on the rightside of the road restricting my freedoms?

If they make lane splitting legal, fine I for one won't do it, IMO riding a motorcycle in traffic is already dangerous enough without me adding to it. But that's just me.

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
No matter how many motorcyclist's sign the petition, it'll never happen. The only traffic issues the federal government controls are on federal highways. It's up to states to regulate their roads. I don't see the fed's allowing lane splitting/sharing on highways.

·
Registered
18,130 Posts
The U.N wants in the law making too, by encouraging world wide helmet use laws...

Join the MRO of your choice (IF for no other reason than to help keep lawmakers in check, and keep us riders informed)

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
...Join the MRO of your choice...
And I will. If not now, when? Right?

I spent some time over the last months reading up about ABATE for my state and their stances on this and other issues. I also watched one of their televised forums this year and I was impressed with the nature and tone of their arguments.

And, it's about time anyway...;)

The check (or in this case, Paypal) is in the (e)mail. :cool:

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Actually Gypsy I'm very much in agreement with you on just about everything you mention. My thoughts on lane splitting were just my thoughts and reasons why I wouldn't even if it is legal. I've been in the military too and always follow the rules. I''m just old enough to have seen a lot of human nature. Add to that all the memories of all the really stupid things I've done myself and the wisdom of old age to remind me of how they turned out.

totally understood beezer. living in new mexico where, as with all states except cal lane splitting is not legal... i do not lane split. in cal last nov i was reminded as to why it is allowed in cal as i rode through san bernadino in rush hour traffic. bike would have overheated and i could well have been rear ended. the older we get the slower and more cautiously we go:D

Ok... so should we pencil in lane splitting into Natural Law? How about "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Lane Splitting"? :mrgreen:

I just fail to see how abiding by the current traffic laws is 'restricting' anyone's freedoms. Is forcing me to drive/ride on the rightside of the road restricting my freedoms?

If they make lane splitting legal, fine I for one won't do it, IMO riding a motorcycle in traffic is already dangerous enough without me adding to it. But that's just me.
hi firehawk, on to the dialectic, hopefully void of any vitriol. the salient point in my post was actually concerned with others making arbitrary choices to protect me from myself, it was not about current traffic laws, nor was it about riding into oncoming traffic in the left side of a two way US roadway.

your opinion on lane splitting does however fly into the face of facts... less rear ending, basically. in city traffic getting to the front of traffic, especially at stops, keeps the cyclist out of the thick of traffic where blind lane changes and other things can and do cause injury and death to bikers. also in extremely backed up traffic on hot days it is very hard on motorcycles many of which are air cooled. so don't do it if its made allowable, surely it is your right to choose.

as to your statement about pencilling in lane splitting into natural law and the life, liberty and lane splitting comment... well, even though i don't know you i am going to give you the benefit of any doubt and take those statements as a friendly poke, done in good fun. cheers :D

and just a thought of mine along the way-

freedom
Copyright 2013

until realized
and taken
utilized
exploited
freedom is just another word
until squelched
repressed
and denied
until savored
like wine
like lust
like love lost
freedom realized
is fragile
tentative
a vapor
and freedom may
once again
become
just another word

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Yes gypsy, my comments were tongue and cheek in nature. I respect your opinion on this issue, might not necessarily agree with it, but respect it none the less.

All's good I hope!:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Yes gypsy, my comments were tongue and cheek in nature. I respect your opinion on this issue, might not necessarily agree with it, but respect it none the less.

All's good I hope!:mrgreen:
always... the early greeks knew that democracy could be no larger than the village and that open discussion and debate were keys to its success. HSN i but a village, and we get the privilege here of engaging in that old greek process. and i believe that makes us better citizens. my pleasure and an honour to have this chat with you :cool:

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Oh crap, i guess id better get my petition in for my favorite oil so the WH can make everyone else use the same kind.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
We have legal lane splitting in Britain, it means we can pass between lanes onhighways and other roads as long as we pass at a reasonable speed..this does not mean that we can break the speed limit to pass, if the road speed is 20mph we can pass at under 20mph, in traffic jams, where the traffic has stopped we can filter to the front of the jam, we are not allowed over a continuous lane dividing line.. often if the traffic is held up because of an accident and there is a cop at the head of the hold up he will wave us past, with an 8ft motorcycle taking up space in the line, if we filter to the front then the line is that much shorter and easier to clear, lane splitting cuts down on the amount of exhaust fumes a rider has to breath, cuts down on traffic congestion in towns and keeps the flow of traffic moving, it is also one of the major reasons for riding a motorcycle when you could be in a car that is warm, has a radio, people you can talk to, and room for luggage or shopping..and you can go dogging in a car..

John.

·
Registered
11,178 Posts
I fail to see the validity of the reasoning behind this. Motorcycles make up a VERY small percentage of vehicles in traffic, so I fail to see how allowing them to lane split would have much if any impact on traffic congestion.

I also fail to see why just because someone's riding a motorcycle they feel they're entitled to 'special' privileges compared to other drivers using the same road. Personally, I'll just wait my turn like everyone else.

Just my .02 :wink:
In California the traffic is such and there are enough bikes on the roads that lane splitting is common place. The CHIP folks have studied the safety of it and have even developed a list of guidelines. Seems to work nicely out there.
Big difference between lane splitting and cutting through to get to the front.

I don't think it's a matter of special privileges, but if you consider what a rider goes through physically while sitting in traffic on a day with 90°+ temps and high humidity, I think the whole lane splitting thing becomes more of a courtesy, or safety consideration.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.