Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I normally don't have a problem lane splitting with bike, but usually it's with someone I have ridden with before. Today I'm sitting at a light and a guy rolls up right next to me and I can already tell it's trouble.
He's riding a road star with battle scars all over it and almost laid it down when he came to a stop. Taking off he is wandering all over the lane very near my back tire. I change lanes and this guy changes with me. He slows down quite a bit into the turns, but then gets on it hard to catch back up to me. I motion for him to get the fuk away from me but he doesn't get it. Eventually I just turn off the main road and go a different direction.
Does this crap ever happen to you? I love being a part of the biker community, but **** if your a new rider you should not ride past your ability, and I would consider lane splitting or riding in formation to be an intermediate skill.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
when I stop in my lane, I stop in the middle but in a diagonal fashion. That way I have an out if someone comes up behind me and is gonna hit me, but also keeps tools like yours from pulling along side me.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I don't join up with riders I randomly meet while cruising. I'll either hang back a ways, or pass them.
That is good advice Eddie. If I come across other riders I typically hang back a bit as well. I won't drop into someone else's formation. First I think that would be rude, and second it isn't safe. I don't know them, and they don't know me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I personally don't like to split lanes unless I am at a stop light.
I usually stay away if possible, I got caught up once in a huge group of tourers with full fairings and bags. I think it was a dealership sponsered ride, most of them were wearing HiVis jackets or vests and flip up helmets some were riding 2 up. I just got over into the other lane when i got the chance and turned off to let them pass. Its illegal in Florida to ride side by side so they were all staggared but ive never ridden in a group before so I felt uncomfortable. Most of my friends that stuck around after school ride sportbikes so I dont ride with them, they'd leave me behind.

·
Registered
254 Posts
You know I have been sitting here reading many posts about lane splitting and getting the general impression that people don't much care for it. I was always too afraid to try to do it until recently. On my commute to work I have come across highway speeds reduced to a crawl with my exit miles ahead on two occasions. The first time I weaved back and forth dragging my boots stopping and going for 3 miles until I came to my exit. The whole time sweating my arse off in the hot sun.

The other day I again came up to a similar slowdown for an accident on the left shoulder but this time I lane split. it was scary at first especially when I had to go between two semi truck/trailers with what felt like about a foot on either side. Now, I know people would say that's not smart and I have thought about it and would agree if they weren't stopped. As I approached them I had to decide if I was going to stop on the highway too between the traffic or just go between them. I felt that if I stopped it would be more dangerous because when we started moving I still would have had them in front, but now moving.

At one point I have a car that obviously sees me coming and starts moving toward the line to try to block me (wtf?) and I went between anyway just (and I mean just) missing their mirror by wiggling my handlebars as I passed very slowly.

It was nerve racking but in the end I was proud of myself for even attempting splitting rather than walk my bike the rest of the way home like I did the first time.

Am I crazy?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I have heard that lane-splitting is illegal in Texas. I know I rarely see it here. Does anyone know if it is totally illegal, or if there are certain times it is?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I believe lane splitting is only allowed in California. I have been told that it is less enforced in some states than others, I suppose that means that it is up to how badly the officer's day is going as to whether you get a ticket or not :)

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
If I'm at a stop ad another rider pulls up next to me I will let them take off first. Let them get ahead. If I pull up behind a biker I will pull to the open side and line my front tire up with the back of their back tire. It lets them know I want them to go ahead and take off.

The friend I ride with will only pull up on my right side. If I'm in the right side she will stay behind me. But we know how eachother ride.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
You know I have been sitting here reading many posts about lane splitting........

It was nerve racking but in the end I was proud of myself for even attempting splitting rather than walk my bike the rest of the way home like I did the first time.

Am I crazy?
No. (well, maybe a little...)
Be alert and focused.

I keep my horn covered, my brakes covered, I have a headlight modulator, I don't think about anything other than concentrating on the ride, I only split when the traffic is slow or stopped. (splitting when traffic is moving at higher speeds does not offer any real benefit in time savings vs the risk, IMHO) Some freeway lanes are wider and tend to be better for splitting. Be aware of gaps where a car might make a sudden lane change into you. Pick a a speed that is quick enough that you're not in blind spots for too long, but not so fast that you can't stop quickly if you have to. Choose a gear and speed that you don't have to dork around with shifting too much if you can.

Again, be alert and focused.

I prefer using carpool lanes to lane splitting, though.:wink:

·
Registered
113 Posts
I know i've bee riding for a while and i've herd the word before but what is it.i know i should know this but i dont.i do know me and my friend do ride side by side some times,but we pretty much under stand each others body language and know when to back off when some thing arises.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Lane splitting is, technically, white lining. It's when cars are backed up and you ride the dotted white line. It's dangerous as **** and they want to make it legal in Oregon.

Lane sharing is when riders ride side by side.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.