Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a couple of other threads on here about sewing or even glueing (with Barge Cement) on patches. They were helpful but somebody may have even more info.

For small patches (like the hondashadow.net patch) I can easily see the Barge Cement working well. I may do that. But - I have a large (9 inch by 10 inch) leather patch that I want to put on the back of a leather vest. I think my wife can sew it with a leather needle OK from what I read on other posts.

I also have the same patch in a cloth version I think I want to put on the back of a DSX Denim jacket. The problem here is there is a permanent lining of mesh inside the DSX the must not be sewed down (affects circulation and would prohibit use of the back protection armor). I'm thinking this may have to be done by hand while , ahem, holding the liner away on the inside -- not easy at all. I'm wondering if the Barge Cement could be used to glue on a patch this large. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Take it somewhere that does alterations. Tell them not to sew into the liner and save yourself the trouble of doing it yourself. Doesn't sound like a fun task.

At least inquire with them to see how much they charge, for a small fee and no hassel to yourself, it might be worth it.

I wouldn't cement/glue any of my patches.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I took my First Gear MeshTek jacket to the local seamstress to have some reflective piping sewn on the sleeves sides and back. The seamstress took the mesh lining loose from the bottom to sew the piping on. Find a good local alterations shop and they should be able to do the same and sew the patches on for you.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I have to agree with GB6049, If you go to a local seamstress that knows what she's doing she can remove the liner and sew it back in when the patch is a-fixed.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Clean the vest to take off any wax or leather protectant and then coat both the vest and patch with contact cement. Let both dry to the touch, then CAREFULLY align where you want the patch and press firmly.

The 2 will never come apart again. This is the way people who make leather goods do it, shoes, saddles, etc.

·
Registered
335 Posts
If you decide to do the sewing yourself (or have your wife do it) look for curved needles, like upholstery needles... That hobby place in the Columns should have those. It shouldn't be to hard not to sew the liner in just a little time consuming. On the other hand, a seamstress will leave you with a much neater/more uniform stitch.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think my wife is going to do the vest using a leather needle for the sewing machine. It won't be necessary to remove a liner there. She's pretty good at sewing. We're still unsure about the denim jacket though. I think we're going to take everything down to the Singer place and let the manager lady there look at it. She does custom sewing and monograming. Maybe we'll even let her do the work. When we bought my wife's hot-rod sewing macine she said to come by anytime with any questions.

The vest is the big priority for me right now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts