Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older larin motorcycle lift. Doesn't work very good because I can lift the bike evenly and I'm worried I'll crush the oil filter. Another member said he has an adapter kit. Does anyone know what I can buy JUST the kit...or has anymore made anything?

I got a 93 1100.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Yea I agree, it's definetly in my opinnion a two person job, I have the Sears with an adaptor and finally just quit trying, I'm to old to hassel it, **** thing is brand new and hasn't been used in 3 yrs..........only way for me to try it again is take the **** wheels off the lift then slide it under to get enough clearance to set the bike on or run then bike up on some pieces of 2x6 then go under it with the lift.............waste of money for me............:shock:

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
Yea I agree, it's definetly in my opinnion a two person job, I have the Sears with an adaptor and finally just quit trying, I'm to old to hassel it, **** thing is brand new and hasn't been used in 3 yrs..........only way for me to try it again is take the **** wheels off the lift then slide it under to get enough clearance to set the bike on or run then bike up on some pieces of 2x6 then go under it with the lift.............waste of money for me............:shock:
I think that was the only thing I hated about my Sabre

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Big B - when you say it's a pain... is it a pain to get the jack and adapter under the bike? I wasn't expecting $80 either... heck, my jack is kinda old too. I could probably sell it on CL for a few bucks and get a brand new one that comes with the adapter.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
the frame are is tight, you def have to work at it to get it in the air. It can be done, but w/ some difficulty. If the "V" angle adaptors were a lil smaller, it would be easier to work with. There are how to's out there to make your own adapter for the vt1100 platform

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
out there in this forum or out on the web?

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
You can buy a Larin Mal2c lift but all it is, is the adapter that Ben suggested with a new Larin lift. If your lift works, just buy the adapter. I got the lift and adapter on Clist and cut the v shaped cradles down to about 3/4" on each side and I also cut the threaded portion of the cradles down so I can slide it under my Sabre. I have to take one of the cardles off to get it under the Sabre because it's lowered about 1 1/2".

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Originally Posted by Originally Posted by jpr1968

I have to take one of the cardles off to get it under the Sabre because it's lowered about 1 1/2".
True, the left side cradles of the Larin adapter have to be removed and reinstalled after the lift arms protrude from the other side of the bike, unless you have a super low lift that clears the bottom of the engine. The Larin "adapter" itself needs adapting, such as ....

**Again, the holes now have no threads.**

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
[edit]yes, you still have to take the left cradles off before you roll the lift under the engine, but this way it's easier to adjust the vertical.

every bike's designed differently, but with the Shadow 600, it can't be done any other way on the left frame. The right side cradles could be left in place on the adapter, so actually only the two left holes needed to be rimmed out.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Originally Posted by B

Actually you could roll it up on some 2x4 or 2x6 and get the needed clearance. I never liked doing that though. You have to have the boards placed just right or it might tip over.
tried that, but too much hassle, and still you scrape the bottom of the engine here and there. The 1½-inch doesn't quite do the job. And with the 600, you have to hold the V-angle up to the frame while locking in the height with the nut on the threaded shaft. If you try to guestimate a pre-position, when you lift up the jack, sometimes the V-angle gets pretty close to gouging the adjacent radiator hose or knocking off the water clamp. And because of the radiator hose, the 'wing' has to be pointed into the bike angled laterally. Parallel won't work. That's with the front V-angle on the left side. The rear V-angle has to simultaneously clear the sidestand bracket. Believe me, I've logged in more hours doing this than Evel Knievel recovering from his scrapes and bruises. That said, I don't use the lift jack as much because I have an aftermarket stand.

Still, the 2x4 or 2x6 trick is valuable information for people who might incorrectly think that they HAVE to buy a lift jack that's low enough for their bike frame. Gives them more options.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.