Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 Shadow Aero, 1972 Triumph 650 Tiger
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
900 Scrambler but decided not to. Used. For the same money I can get a new Honda with warranty and Honda reliability. And pretty much the same size motor. Just sayin'.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You just sold your Triumph. Once is enough. !!!
Well, you know, when it's alcohol fueled ya' get proud and want a looker, a trophy bike! 8^DDD

·
Registered
2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750
547 Posts
I would keep the Aero,especially if it's paid for in full.The may seem like they are revving high at highway speeds but really are not.At 70 MPH my Aero 750 is spinning 3950 rpm's.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would keep the Aero,especially if it's paid for in full.The may seem like they are revving high at highway speeds but really are not.At 70 MPH my Aero 750 is spinning 3950 rpm's.
But you're running a 2019 and I'm a 2015. Isn't there a difference in the motors?

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
690 Posts
But you're running a 2019 and I'm a 2015. Isn't there a difference in the motors?
Not even a little bit. Honda has been using the same basic RC50 engine in shaft drive models since The 2004 Aero. The camshafts, pistons, heads, etc all share part numbers. Honda gets a ton of years out of their designs because of longevity, most owners don’t buy a Shadow looking for power. The most powerful iterations of the RC50 engine are the Chain drive models such as the RS because of the lower drivetrain loss from chain to shaft.

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not even a little bit. Honda has been using the same basic RC50 engine in shaft drive models since The 2004 Aero. The camshafts, pistons, heads, etc all share part numbers. Honda gets a ton of years out of their designs because of longevity, most owners don’t buy a Shadow looking for power. The most powerful iterations of the RC50 engine are the Chain drive models such as the RS because of the lower drivetrain loss from chain to shaft.
Scheiste. I'm getting an inductive tachometer and we'll see.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Scheiste. I'm getting an inductive tachometer and we'll see.
If you would like to check the rpm's of your tach against mine just let me know.I am on the forum every single day.I am running a Cobra tachometer designed /marketed for the Phantom.At 55 mph in fifth gear I am at exactly 3000 rpm's.Just had the bike out and checked that.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
If you would like to check the rpm's of your tach against mine just let me know.I am on the forum every single day.I am running a Cobra tachometer designed /marketed for the Phantom.At 55 mph in fifth gear I am at exactly 3000 rpm's.Just had the bike out and checked that.
That's an expensive instrument. How does it hook into the motor???? It looks like real quality nonetheless. I just read the downloaded installation instructions. Forget it. That is some way too complicated scheiste. Inductive hookup is where it's at.

·
Registered
547 Posts
It has a positive and negative wire that hooks up in the headlight bucket and a third wire attaches to the coil under the gas tank on the left hand side of the bike.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It has a positive and negative wire that hooks up in the headlight bucket and a third wire attaches to the coil under the gas tank on the left hand side of the bike.
With the inductive unit all you do is wind a single wire around a spark plug wire and you're good to go. Ain't no color coding.

·
Registered
547 Posts
With the inductive unit all you do is wind a single wire around a spark plug wire and you're good to go. Ain't no color coding.
Correct.I have used that type of tach many times on dualsport bikes.Good for setting idle speed on the dualsports.

·
Registered
06' VT1100C99' GL1500C Valkyrie
8,557 Posts
900 Scrambler but decided not to. Used. For the same money I can get a new Honda with warranty and Honda reliability. And pretty much the same size motor. Just sayin'.
I've been a big fan of the Tramp's since I was 14 looking at brand new purple and white 66' 650 Bonneville. Years went by and Triumph was sub par reliability deterred the desire to own one until recent years. Being a "scrambler" fan even peaked my interest more but I'm so used to metric reliability and the reintro of the CB1100 kinda peaked my interest more as far as a lower powered option to the Valk.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've always wanted a Bonneville, but it'll probably never happen.
I've always had British cars (MG Midgets), and have always had a thing for their engineering.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've always had British cars (MG Midgets), and have always had a thing for their engineering.
Old British vehicles had issues with their ignition systems. The FIRST thing you do when you get a British vehicle is upgrade the ignition to electronic.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Old British vehicles had issues with their ignition systems. The FIRST thing you do when you get a British vehicle is upgrade the ignition to electronic.
And I strongly recommend a Tiger, single carb, therefore MUCH EASIER TO TUNE than any two-carbed Bonneville and negligible in performance differences until the very very top end.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just sold my Triumph Tiger a couple months ago and happily replaced it with my 2nd Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100. I liked the Tiger (although it was a different animal - a adventure bike) but the maintenance, reliability, special tools, parts etc. of that bike always had me saying to myself that I wished it was a Honda or Yamaha !

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Even though my Tiger outperformed my Honda in every way, maintenance required way too much effort.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts