Honda Shadow Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
If I was to go out and buy a brand new ADV style bike, I'd head directly to KTM and get the 790 Adventure R model.
Something to remember with that Triumph is it is a completely different animal than a Shadow. Having two wheels is about the only thing that's comparable between the two.
The thing I like with the Tiger, and other bikes of its ilk, is the Tiger can go anywhere and do anything the Shadow can, but the Shadow can only do half of what the Tiger can do.
Apples to oranges.......

·
Premium Member
2015 Shadow Aero, 1972 Triumph 650 Tiger
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
A roadster versus a cruiser.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
I won’t buy a Triumph, but I did test ride the new Rocket 3 over the weekend.... holy crap! Power for days! What a beast!

·
Registered
2,295 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
I had one of the early 750 Bonnevilles with the oil tank frame. While it was relatively fast, it was an oil leaking, poor handling uncomfortable ride. That bike almost made me quit riding. Then a friend let me ride his new KZ900! Rode the Triumph to lunch a week later and rode a new 1976 KZ900 home. Never looked back.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I had one of the early 750 Bonnevilles with the oil tank frame........
OIF Oil in frame. Supposedly it ran much cooler but cracks appeared at the juncture of the swing arm and the down tube. Not to mention that the seat height was 34 inches. The idiot who approved the design was the CEO who also owned BSA and he hated Triumph. And when he took over in the late 1960s early 1970s the signals were broadcasted. Triumph was beginning to go down hill and then along came Honda, engineered from the ground up and along with brand new tooling.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
I had one of the early 750 Bonnevilles with the oil tank frame. While it was relatively fast, it was an oil leaking, poor handling uncomfortable ride..........
I would disagree about the ride. That bike offered an upright ride whereas the Honda Shadow offered a cruiser therefore laid back kinda ride. Two different riding styles. I'm 66 years and because of upcoming surgeries (three of them) I had to back out of a purchase for a 2017 Triumph. I'm looking at three surgeries for the first time in my life and if effing sucks and I don't know if I'll be able to ride again. And I still feel that the Triumph Scrambler is still one of the coolest looking bikes out there along with the new Royal Enfields. I prefer the retro look in a way.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Shadow Spirit VT750C2
172 Posts
It's funny... the Honda dealerships here didn't want to put my new tires on my Honda for whatever reason. The Triumph dealer happily did it. I had plenty of time to walk around looking at new Triumphs and now my heart is conflicted. Never ridden one, but sitting on em making vroom vrooms made the wait go quickly.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I don't get the concept of ruling out a brand because of something that happened 50+ years ago. Just me sayin'

What I like about triumph today is I can go to their showroom and be able to test ride a bike. Went into the locl a couple of years ago and was flipping a coin between two different sizes of Tigers. They asked me to give them a little time and they set up each bike exactly how I would want it if I was to buy it and let the wife and I roll out for a 20 minute ride to see how we liked each bike. Made it easy to compare apples to apples. Lady friend of mine owned an American for a couple of years. Probably the best bike out there at the time for her. It wouldn't win any drag races but it's low seat height was perfect for her shorter stature. No bells and whistles and other junk on it to go wrong. Sounded like a sewing machine going down the road so no noise issues.... and it was a head turner. Fit and finish was perfect. She rode two sets of tires off of it before she got rid of it and it never gave her an ounce of trouble. What more can you ask for from a bike?

There's not a Honda street machine out there that I would even consider buying right now. Not even too enthused on their dirt bikes with their latest offerings as compared to what else is out there. I'm not a slave to a brand.... any brand.... though it is hard for me to make it past the KTM dealership without slowing down a bit!!!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts