Honda Shadow Forums banner

Last question - Keys

2K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  MrNewEngland 
#1 ·
Last question - My bike only came with 1 key. Do I have to go to Honda to have another key made or is it like a car key where pretty much anywhere that makes keys can make it? I have an e-mail in to Honda but have not yet heard back from them.

Thank you.

Joe.

#2 ·
what bike? Some have chips in the key, some don't..

If it doesn't have a chip your local key man might have a blank to suit

#3 ·
As long as you have the key number or an original, your Honda shop can make one for you. I think it cost me 8.00 for the key and cutting. I don't believe you're going to have any luck at the local hardware store.

#4 ·
Most any metric bike dealer that carries multiple brands will have a blank and can cut them for you. Most of the time, you do not even need the key. Just the number off of the key. Hardware stores will most likely not have it. I got one of those magnetic key holders and stuck it on the inside of my swing arm in case I lost mine. It holds a spare key for my saddle bags too.

#7 · (Edited)
Ace Hardware...

had the blanks for my bike. Had 3 keys cut at $1.50 each! They are ilco blanks and on the left the stamped number is X84 (could be XB4) on the right it is stamped HD74

#10 ·
Last question - My bike only came with 1 key. Do I have to go to Honda to have another key made or is it like a car key where pretty much anywhere that makes keys can make it? I have an e-mail in to Honda but have not yet heard back from them.
It would help to know what bike you have. Many (including mine) have a 3-digit (1 letter + 2 numbers) code stamped into the shaft of the primary key. Any Honda dealer and many (but not all) locksmiths can cut a new key from that code. (That's why I write it on my registration each year. The slip is always in my wallet so I can get a key cut if I lose mine. Doesn't help at all with he saddlebags but at least I could ride home.) The code is also stamped in other places -- back side of helmet lock and possibly the ignition on mine IIRC.

And, yes, I have had a key cut from a code and it worked just fine. The bike was a 1980s 250 Nighthawk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.