Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there I was, 2 miles away from home on the commute from my college class. I'm on a windy road with my feet on the highway pegs, just enjoying the ride. Lately I've been using only the front brake when I'm in a straight line, which I know isn't safe, but is a heck of a lot more comfortable than keeping my feet on the controls.

Anyhow, came to the top of a hill and started braking. A turn was coming, and I didn't want to turn and brake at the same time for obvious reasons. I decided to keep braking and go off the road into the grass lawn in front of me. Soon as I hit that grass, I went down. It slid out under me to the right, and I landed on my butt and slid a few feet.

Immediately killed the engine, and with superhuman strength, hopped up and lifted the bike upright. The front and back left turn signals had been snapped loose, though they still work. The speedometer isnt working, and I took home about 5 pounds of dirt and grass between my center stand and the pipes. All in all, a pretty cheap lesson learned. Definitely going to be more careful in the future.

Telling everyone that I hit a patch of wet leaves and slid. And ruined a perfectly good pair of jeans...:cry:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Glad your ok and not much damage to the bike. So do you think if you were braking with the rear also it would of lead to the same outcome? Do you think you were going to fast to begin with? I'm in CT and have been thinking about the leaves falling.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I"m gonna bite....why did you ride in to the grassy lawn? Were you going too fast and trying to ditch or something? I'm glad your ok though.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was going a pretty good rate of speed, and just around the turn was a stop sign. My feet were on the highway pegs so I wouldn't have time to get them down to brake if I did decide to stay on the road, and would've ridden into possible oncoming traffic. I made a split second decision, and decided that coming to a straight stop in the grass would be a better choice than risking riding through the stop sign. Not sure if applying both brakes would've changed my outcome on the grass. Didn't want to slam on the front brakes, but also wanted to stop as quickly as possible.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Highway pegs are called Highway pegs for a reason.

You need to be able to react to any change in road conditions safely - that includes people or animals running out in front of you. It sounds like you were in a somewhat populated area - how could you react to a child running out in front of you or a car pulling out in front of you if you're not prepared to stop quickly?

You got lucky this time and only sustained light property damage and some ego hit, but it could have been much worse.

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
:shock: I guess I still don't understand what the f*ck you did. Were you going too fast to make the turn and then stop? And why not stop? Not wanting to "rag" on you...I just don't understand WTF happened that made you hit the grass. :???:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Going to get lot's of monday morning quarterbacks.... but....

You seem to know the area and that a turn was coming. Speeding and being on the highway pegs was mistake number 1.

You CAN brake in a turn. Even if you just stayed your course, you should have enough stopping power to stop before that sign... unless A) your brakes suck or B) The DOT engineers in your area suck

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
:shock: Oh. So basically overriding your ability to stop or maneuver. It happens. :neutral:

·
Registered
78 Posts
I see. Glad your ok.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
i know you probably think it is uncomfortable ridin' your bike without havin' your feet on the hillbilly pegs... but it was probably more uncomfortable eatin' grass after you went off the road. i see this all the time and people over use the hillbilly pegs. around my area people have their feet on the highway pegs before they even get out of the parkin' lot. silly.

you need to have your feet where they need to be, to shift down.. and/or brake. could have saved you your good pair of jeans.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I made a split second decision
Glad you are OK BUT .... IMO your split second decision would have been better spent getting you feet back where they belong. There is NOTHING wrong with braking is a turn.

·
Registered
673 Posts
There is no reason you cannot brake in a turn. I have done it so many times I have lost count. Don't grab the front brake, squeeze gently and add pressure as you get a feel for what the bike is doing and what you are feeling. Add back brake as needed. You can stop much more quickly than you think. Don't fixate on a fixed target, look where you want to go. Put the training you received in the MSF to work. If you still feel uncomfortable, go to a parking lot and practice.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Yeah, two feet up where did you say, on the dashboard, is just plain arrogant. Fortunately just a slap on the wrist this time. Not that replacement signals are cheap. A good reminder though for our own unsafe habits like not covering the front brake lever with the hands approaching an intersection, etc. And you can front brake in a turn just not a slow lazy turn and definitely never in an emergency swerve.

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
Dude, retake the Beginners Riding Course. There are some things you either missed or that you just don't understand. Also, what ever you learned in the class should be practiced and improved upon.

From the sound of it, this was the most needless, and avoidable crash I've heard about in a long time. The only excuse that works, is your very young age. Learn and practice....and pay attention. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
You're three parts lucky:
1. you didn't hurt anyone
2. you didn't hurt yourself
3. bikers on this forum are being really easy on you
Mistakes like that, no excuse. You were taught better than that.
Just be a little more careful. ;-)

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
3. bikers on this forum are being really easy on you
;-)
...only because we are sick and tired of commenting on the stupidity of others. Especially those who will not take advise, those who think they can just jump on and ride and especially those who say they were doing something wrong, knew they were doing something wrong, and went ahead and did it anyways....

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
...only because we are sick and tired of commenting on the stupidity of others. Especially those who will not take advise, those who think they can just jump on and ride and especially those who say they were doing something wrong, knew they were doing something wrong, and went ahead and did it anyways....

That pretty much is dead on for both my first and second marriages...... :shock:

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.