Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
1985 Honda Shadow VT500C
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Changed the coolant, filled and burped the engine and went to fill the reservior and the coolant poured right through - a crack somewhere or something. Checked the manual - no instructions. I am using a funnel and patiently poured so it wasn't user error (fingers-crossed). I read in the forum that reserviors crack and it is a PITA to change out. One response was to use Permatex Ultra-Copper RTV High Temperature Gasket Maker? Anyone use this stuff? Should I cut the old reservior out and use something smaller to sneak in without taking the whole bike apart? Was so proud to have changed the coolant and now this 馃槅Getting to know my bike quite well LOL.
Always appreciate your advice everyone!

Have a great weekend and hope you get some wind in your faces!

Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
Yes the reservoir is "down under". If it is too full it runs out the overflow tube so keep it 1/2 full.
But if it really is broken you might mount a Jim Beam bottle or a coke bottle or some other simple reservoir tank up front next to the radiator like some guys do.

Reactions: Pratosan

Registered
1985 Honda Shadow VT500C
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the reservoir is "down under". If it is too full it runs out the overflow tube so keep it 1/2 full.
But if it really is broken you might mount a Jim Beam bottle or a coke bottle or some other simple reservoir tank up front next to the radiator like some guys do.
I figured it would flow out the top if I over filled it?

Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
Yes there is an over flow hose out the top. But if it all leaks out all the time it is broken.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts