Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I'm a newbe to this forum but have been a member of the GL1800riders.com forum for several years. My wife has a 2002 750 ACE Shadow. Due to various reasons, it has been setting in our driveway for the last 2 years without being ridden or even started. We failed to drain the gas tank or carbs. I did put StaBil in the gas, but that was before I knew that it didn't help with the ethanol in the gas. Anyway we have sold the bike. When I went out to start it, the battery was dead even though it had been on a battery tender all that time. After new battery it would start but not run very well. I bought some sea foam and added to the gas. I started it and let it idle hoping the sea foam would clean out the carbs enough to sell the bike. After about 5 minutes at idle, I noticed gas pouring out from somewhere under the gas tank and around the carbs. It wasn't the gas valve or the vent tube. When I killed the engine, the gas leak stopped. I started the engine again, and the gas leaked again.

When I pulled the tank I can't see any obvious source for the leak. I'm not much of a mechanic so I don't relish the thought of pulling the carbs for a cleaning. I'm hoping someone out there has seen this problem or can give me some quidance to a repair.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Joe in Modesto

·
Registered
79 Posts
Welcome Joe. I am no mechanic at all, but my new bike had the same problem when I bought it. Turns out needed a carb cleaning and the floats were stuck. After a good cleaning the problem was solved. Don't know if that is what your trouble is, but definitely worth looking into.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks CJ7. I was hoping the sea foam would loosen everything up. Wen I look at all the hoses and other fittings to the twin carbs, I get dizzy. It has been sitting for about a week since I first had the problem so maybe I'll go back and try it again and see if it has had time to break up all the gunk.

Joe in Modesto

·
Registered
515 Posts
Sometimes stuck floats can be joggled loose by rapping on the side of the carb's float bowls with the handle of a screwdriver. Not a permanent fix by any means, but might get them moving again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts