Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone converted to an LED light? Do you have positives/negatives? Not much interested in speculation, just actual reports of what you found. I'm seriously considering putting one in my 99 Spirit 1100. This is one I found:

3800 Lumen H4 LED Headlight bulb

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Our neighbor Firehawk will see this and reply shortly, I'm sure.
He is running that one----he LOVES it.
His report & his PM's convinced me to buy that exact model.

Did some research....found nothing negative about that setup except:

bikers bemoaning the fact it took them so long to break down and get one.

But for now, I still live in the frozen tundra of Kenwacky....and, alas, mine is still in the box....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Gnarly. I just came across that one on AdVRider and checked Cyclops' site. Did he mention any fitment issues?

I haven't done much night riding the last few years (too many deer here) but I'm planning a two-week, ten-state trip in May. There will be night riding involved.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've seen these on a lot of the bikes around lately and have been thinking about it myself, but atm my priorities are keeping it running and are windshield before I start using it to commute! Since I do a lot of night riding though is it particularly good at night then?

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I run a 55W HID from DDM Tuning (.com) and on my Fury and had a 35W on the Shadow. I changed nothing on the housing, its completely stock save for the bulb

This pic shows the full story

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Has anyone converted to an LED light? Do you have positives/negatives? Not much interested in speculation, just actual reports of what you found. I'm seriously considering putting one in my 99 Spirit 1100. This is one I found:

3800 Lumen H4 LED Headlight bulb
Yep as Gnarly said I have one of these bulbs in my VLX. Could not be happier with it. I'm sorry to see they lowered the kelvin color as mine matches the switchback bulbs in the front turn signals perfectly. The one I bought last year I believe is around 6000K. IMO the light spread is much better and of course MUCH whiter.

It is truly plug and play other than I could not use the bail wire that held in the halogen bulb. The fan on the back of the bulb is too large in diameter. I made up two small spring clips and used the existing bail screws and holes to mount the clips and hold the bulb in place.

Try one and I'd wager you won't go back to a halogen bulb.

After looking at the picture on the website it appears they have changed the design of the bulb. Mine is triangular shaped with LEDs on three side. The new bulb is only two sided.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, Firehawk!

I believe a redesign was mentioned, either on their site or on ADV, where they are vendors. I'll be trying one come Spring (Come on Spring!) unless someone else persuades me that there is a better alternative.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Thanks, Firehawk!

I believe a redesign was mentioned, either on their site or on ADV, where they are vendors. I'll be trying one come Spring (Come on Spring!) unless someone else persuades me that there is a better alternative.
The atv site was where I learned about these bulbs too. I'll have to go back and read further about the redesign.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again. This is what they say about the new bulb.

I'm going to do a little more reading before I buy.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
You do realize 3600 lumens isn't very bright?

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Well, im not going to look up the halogen bulb, but a 55W HID is 5000 lumens and is usually cheaper. Just my point :)

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
I'm sure there is a thread here somewhere, just for owners of HID lights.
Or perhaps you could just run along and start one.
This one, however, is a discussion about LED lights.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I'm sure there is a thread here somewhere, just for owners of HID lights.
Or perhaps you could just run along and start one.
This one, however, is a discussion about LED lights.
^^^^Well said.

Back to the topic, if you are ordering the H4 LED from cyclops use code ADV to get 10% off.

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
Please guys, stay on topic and also refrain from flogging each other. It would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

1 - 20 of 31 Posts