Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok we have an 02 1100 spirit and an 05 VLX. Both bikes are set up identically with switchbacks up front and regular LEDs everywhere else. Tonite riding around with my wife on the Spirit. She hits the horn and notices the switchbacks turned off and back on. I thought there must be some crud or something some how connecting the the turn signal and horn buttons. After we get home I try the horn on the VLX and the same thing happened. I'm sure it's been happening the whole time since converting to LEDs just never noticed. Has anyone else experience this? I don't thing there is a problem with either bike. I think it's an inherent thing with LEDs or it's a switchback thing. Thoughts?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Never seen that, but could be due to where the horn relay is tied into. I'd be checking those wires.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Ok we have an 02 1100 spirit and an 05 VLX. Both bikes are set up identically with switchbacks up front and regular LEDs everywhere else. Tonite riding around with my wife on the Spirit. She hits the horn and notices the switchbacks turned off and back on. I thought there must be some crud or something some how connecting the the turn signal and horn buttons. After we get home I try the horn on the VLX and the same thing happened. I'm sure it's been happening the whole time since converting to LEDs just never noticed. Has anyone else experience this? I don't thing there is a problem with either bike. I think it's an inherent thing with LEDs or it's a switchback thing. Thoughts?

I have about the same setup as you have using Superbrights LED,s. Now I am curious,I will check to see if mine do the same this weekend.

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have about the same setup as you have using Superbrights LED,s. Now I am curious,I will check to see if mine do the same this weekend.
I'm curious to know what yours does. Both of our bikes have the stock housings and sockets. No butchered wiring either.

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Never seen that, but could be due to where the horn relay is tied into. I'd be checking those wires.
I'll have to look at that too. Although with the standard incandescent bulbs it was fine. I only swapped in the LEDs. I'm not worried about it too much. It's a little more to get your attention when ya hear the horn.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
What kind of horn? Can you swap in some other type or load for testing.
I'm no electronics guy, but I'm wondering if it is sending some type of electrically noisy pulse on the power line when it is activated causing confusion in the bulbs electronics.
Maybe a qualified person could comment on this theory?
If so maybe it could be cured with a filter?

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What kind of horn? Can you swap in some other type or load for testing.
I'm no electronics guy, but I'm wondering if it is sending some type of electrically noisy pulse on the power line when it is activated causing confusion in the bulbs electronics.
Maybe a qualified person could comment on this theory?
If so maybe it could be cured with a filter?
They both have the original horn. Both horns sound completely normal. What would I swap in?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm curious to know what yours does. Both of our bikes have the stock housings and sockets. No butchered wiring either.

On a interesting note; my amber turn signals work perfectly with or without the horn actuated. Now I found the clear running lamps on the other hand go out when the horn is activated. If a turn signal is actuated the amber continues to work as designed but the opposite running lamp goes out with the horn activated. Whats more, when cranking to start the clear running lamps pulsate (the headlamp goes completely out as it should until the starter button is released). I also have LED tail lamps but the plate lamp is still incandescent I did not check the tail lamp operation with the horn activated.
I'm leaning to a problem with the switchback bulb design and not an issue with the bike wiring. To me since I hadn't noticed it before It's not a big deal, just curious as to why it does this. I am assuming the switchback bulbs must have an internal driver so maybe the modern technology can't handle the fluctuation of our old school electronics.Just a theory.
Bill

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Ok I was just thinking that a light bulb as a load in place of the horn and its effects, if any, might lead us a little further in the direction of figuring out what is happening. It is definitely an interesting phenomena you have uncovered.

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
On a interesting note; my amber turn signals work perfectly with or without the horn actuated. Now I found the clear running lamps on the other hand go out when the horn is activated. If a turn signal is actuated the amber continues to work as designed but the opposite running lamp goes out with the horn activated. Whats more, when cranking to start the clear running lamps pulsate (the headlamp goes completely out as it should until the starter button is released). I also have LED tail lamps but the plate lamp is still incandescent I did not check the tail lamp operation with the horn activated.
I'm leaning to a problem with the switchback bulb design and not an issue with the bike wiring. To me since I hadn't noticed it before It's not a big deal, just curious as to why it does this. I am assuming the switchback bulbs must have an internal driver so maybe the modern technology can't handle the fluctuation of our old school electronics.Just a theory.
Bill
My thoughts exactly. If memory serves correctly when I ran amber LED fronts everything was fine.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I'll have to look at that too. Although with the standard incandescent bulbs it was fine. I only swapped in the LEDs. I'm not worried about it too much. It's a little more to get your attention when ya hear the horn.

Sounds to me like the LEDs, rather famous for doing this, are used as the "trip" for the horn relay, and they are causing "feedback" through the horn loop. There's quite a few threads already about that causing all the signals to flash at the same time, due to the LED on the dash for the turns indicator causing that "feedback" to go through to all turn bulbs, but installing a diode on the dash LED fixes it, so maybe something like that needs to be installed on the horn relay circuit on yours. You might also try tying your horn relay into a different circuit, like the headlight, instead, and see if the issue continues?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts