Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without going into personal details I'll try and explain this situation the best I can. About 4 years ago I had to go to court, the judge broke a federal law when sentencing me even after she was told it was against federal law. A couple years later that same judge is now in prison for telling lies to federal officers about something that has been going on for over 10 years. Some people are telling me that since the judge is in prison as a felon that my sentence is no longer valid. I got hit with 5 years probation for BS. My case was non-violent, not theft or anything that hurt anyone in any way and everyone that knows the details says I am not a criminal and that I was set up, I didn't break any laws but the courts bent some rules and I was found guilty anyhow even though I did nothing wrong. I can't afford an attorney to fight this but if I can get some thoughts from people here I may be able to fight it myself.

·
Registered
837 Posts
You have a few options: #1 fight it yourself,, however the Deck is ALREADY stacked agaisnt you,,cause you're not "one of THEM" Lawyer.. you have a slim chance at best.

#2 go to the nearest LAW SCHOOL (I live near YALE UN) sometimes the students would LOVE to pick up your case and run with it,,,they make a team project out of it and in some cases they even get school credits..it's a win win They learn & get credit and make a name for themselfs and YOU get that help for FREE!!!

# 3 you can try a law firm they might want you to file some type of Lawsuit ,,,they clear your name & they keep 30%

#4 Go to the MEDIA most news programs love to investigate Government Corruption... and come to the help of the "under dog"

good luck

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Your sentence is valid. You need a lawyer. The case would need to be appealed. Not sure of your local laws as far as time restrictions for filing an appeal but I agree with Officer Friendly that you should try Community Legal Services and see if they will take your case. It sounds as if you will not be the only one filing an appeal.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Doesn't matter what happened to the judge even seconds after handing down your sentence. Your sentence is valid. It would take a lawyer with writs and petitions along with a judges decree to reverse it. No matter what you did or how the conviction came about, you will always have to answer "yes" when asked if you ever been convicted of a crime.....

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
Doesn't matter what happened to the judge even seconds after handing down your sentence. Your sentence is valid. It would take a lawyer with writs and petitions along with a judges decree to reverse it. No matter what you did or how the conviction came about, you will always have to answer "yes" when asked if you ever been convicted of a crime.....
^ this and this only.

oh my law degree is from the Shadetree Lawyers school. ;-) , right next to the shadetree mechanics school.

·
Registered
11,102 Posts
Without going into personal details I'll try and explain this situation the best I can. About 4 years ago I had to go to court, the judge broke a federal law when sentencing me even after she was told it was against federal law. A couple years later that same judge is now in prison for telling lies to federal officers about something that has been going on for over 10 years. Some people are telling me that since the judge is in prison as a felon that my sentence is no longer valid. I got hit with 5 years probation for BS. My case was non-violent, not theft or anything that hurt anyone in any way and everyone that knows the details says I am not a criminal and that I was set up, I didn't break any laws but the courts bent some rules and I was found guilty anyhow even though I did nothing wrong. I can't afford an attorney to fight this but if I can get some thoughts from people here I may be able to fight it myself.
The judge broke the law at sentencing but your lawyer at the time did nothing? No appeal? Zero, ziltch, nada? (You represented yourself?)
You were set up?
Sentenced for a bunch of BS?
You did nothing wrong?
You didn't break any laws?
Yeah, you sound like 100,000 other mooks in jail or on probation.
The legal system woke up one morning and decided to ***** with you....

Serve your sentence and move on.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Contact some of the lawyers in your area and see if they would take on the case pro bono (free). Lots of lawyers do pro bono work for those that can't afford a lawyer. If they do not, they will probably know one that does. If the case interests them, they may be more likely to take it on.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
10,154 Posts
I agree with Scaredofmyownshadow. Contact local law firms. There's a very good chance that they'll take your case pro bono OR be able to direct you to a good direction....

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
:shock: I didn't do nuthin! :shock:

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
go see the public defender if you truly did nothing and felt your case wasn't handled correctly. Depending on what the judge was convicted of and known to have done, it may have bearing on your case, although probably not.

You don't say if your case was a felony or misdemeanor. If misdemeanor, i'd let it go. If felony, i'd see the public defender, or even go as far as to visit a law school and talk to a professor. Perhaps they are willing to assign it as a class project.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts