Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, someone tell me again, why do we blur out the license plate numbers when we post photos on the web? I usually do it, but not really sure how risky it is to leave the numbers visible. I mean, if a bad guy wants some license plate numbers to use in some dishonest way, couldn't he just stroll through any parking lot and write some down? Just curious.

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong area, it didn't seem as off topic as the stuff in the off topic area:D.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Thieves can and do troll the Internet looking for vehicles to steal. Posting a picture with your plate number is almost as good as advertising your address. If someone is going to come and steal my bike, they are at least going to work for it.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I figure people see my plate everyday on the road. I don't worry about hiding it here. But then I am not paranoid.

·
Registered
680 Posts
That, and if you have a really nice scoot, someone can find where you live and take it. I have insurance, not pressed about hiding my plate.
This. That and, if let's say some has done some expensive modding and posts the prices, then a thief can simply match up the plates to said vehicle to get a good idea of what is worth stealing.

I use to blur the plate on my cage out on local forums I use to frequent, now I don't care for the reason that Big B here mentioned; insurance.

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
You ride your bike in front of strangers everyday that can easily jot down your tag, get the info and have at it with you stuff ..so what is with the paranoia of someone seeing it in a magazine or on the net?

·
Registered
642 Posts
So, someone tell me again, why do we blur out the license plate numbers when we post photos on the web? I usually do it, but not really sure how risky it is to leave the numbers visible. I mean, if a bad guy wants some license plate numbers to use in some dishonest way, couldn't he just stroll through any parking lot and write some down? Just curious.

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong area, it didn't seem as off topic as the stuff in the off topic area:D.
This concept always seemed a little far fetched to me. Like..I see a picture of a bike online that I like...write down the license number...have a friend who is a cop or works at DMV run the plate...then I travel a distance to wherever the person lives to steal their bike... Wouldn't your typical bike thief just go to a local bike rally and follow someone home if they wanted to steal a bike? Also, your plate is on display every time you ride and park your bike! So should we be covering our plate when the bike is parked? If someone steals my bike, I will just turn it in to insurance and buy another one. Some people are overly paranoid!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I blur others' plates out of courtesy. I could not care less about my own. You steal my factory fresh Shadow, I get to buy a newer one...but it hasn't happened yet. It's not like it's your SoSo Security number. It's grabbed all day long from hundreds of CCTV systems anyhow.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
..probably because they are lying and stole the pic off the net...there are probably a few members on this board who don't even have a bike...

...we will get to the truth of this Markspike character in a month or so....:wink::wink:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
You ride your bike in front of strangers everyday that can easily jot down your tag, get the info and have at it with you stuff ..so what is with the paranoia of someone seeing it in a magazine or on the net?
The guy driving behind me, or who sees my bike parked is not necessarily a thief, and even if he is there isn't a sign on my back telling him every detail about my bike. A guy reading this forum knows everything about my bike, and may have come here shopping for his next target. So if he wants to take it I am going to make him work for it. I am not paranoid. I know the chance of that happening is very remote. I just don't see the big deal in taking a few seconds to blur the plate. It is easily done, so why not.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I would say it is mostly about maintaining anonymity on the net. I am more than likely going to piss someone off whether they or I like it. Having my plate handy for them to find me is just a little more liability on my part... I have heard of stupider things happening, such as two online gamers getting into a fight online and one ends up killing the other because he got some info and followed through. Not saying these things happens everyday but you never know whose toes you're going to step on.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Some robbers use your plate no. to create a fake one when committing crime.

My friend had a nasty visit from the police a few years back, they said his bike was used in a string of robberies and this was the plate no. given by witnesses. Turns out, he was in the hospital getting a triple bypass when these happened. He nearly went back to get a fourth.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.