· Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
20,336 Posts
  • Helpful
Reactions: "Captain D"

· Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,845 Posts
A friends 1956 Triumph TRW suffered catastrophic failure due to metal fatigue in the top triple tree a few years ago, so I am very leery about riding long distances with any bike more than 60 years old. I will retire my Shadow in about 3 years at 30.

· Registered
46 Posts
My '94 600 has no signs of stopping, these bikes hold up really well if you give them the love they deserve. Do you remember the Top Gear episode where they tried to destroy a Hilux? I like to think the Shadow is the motorcycle equivalent of that haha

· Registered
2013 Honda Shadow Phantom 750
4,801 Posts
I would say that the longevity of any mechanical object is at least 75% maintenance dependent and maybe 15-20% how you use the item. If the PO took care of your bike and you take care of it there is no reason that can’t last much longer than 15 years.

I have found the secret to keeping these bikes in good shape,,,ride them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,845 Posts
Will you sell it in 3 years then? @gdb069
Here, classic/vintage motorcycle insurance is very, very inexpensive so I will keep it as long as there is room in the garage (probably) and ride to local motorcycle shows or for an hour or two locally. The last three years it was ridden just 1000 km per year and then oil change. I have a newish Goldwing for long distances and a few Brit bikes that are garage queens but I still enjoy the VT1100C2 a lot and its the easiest to maintain. The Shadows don't really appreciate in value as classics (unlike the Brits) so not much gained in selling ($2-2.5k)

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would say that the longevity of any mechanical object is at least 75% maintenance dependent and maybe 15-20% how you use the item. If the PO took care of your bike and you take care of it there is no reason that can’t last much longer than 15 years.

I have found the secret to keeping these bikes in good shape,,,ride them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:):):)

· Registered
'83 VT750C; ‘21 SV650A
3,644 Posts
Yeah, that’s not quite the right question. I’d ride a 30+ year old Shadow without hesitation. As you can see, LOTS of good examples out there. It’s not so much the age, or even the mileage, but how it was treated. You can find some bikes for sale not even a decade old that are pretty much falling apart…

· Registered
3,278 Posts
A friends 1956 Triumph TRW suffered catastrophic failure due to metal fatigue in the top triple tree a few years ago, so I am very leery about riding long distances with any bike more than 60 years old. I will retire my Shadow in about 3 years at 30.
There's been a world of improvements in metallurgy between 1956 and the 90's, I wouldn't think it's an issue unless it's rusting from weather. to the point of failure.

Plus, it's british "engineering" vs Japanese/American.... I had 3 british bikes in the 70's, (slow learner,,,) They almost caused me to quit riding.

Edit: traded the last one in on a new 1976 KZ900 Kaw and never looked back.

· Registered
654 Posts
There's been a world of improvements in metallurgy between 1956 and the 90's, I wouldn't think it's an issue unless it's rusting from weather. to the point of failure.

Plus, it's british "engineering" vs Japanese/American.... I had 3 british bikes in the 70's, (slow learner,,,) They almost caused me to quit riding.

Edit: traded the last one in on a new 1976 KZ900 Kaw and never looked back.
KZ 900 Great bike ... wish they would bring it back ... ,

· Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
10,508 Posts
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

A little more refined but available. 2022 RS model

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle

2018 model was the 1st. year intro for the KZ. Honda introduced the CB1100 in 2014 thus I assume somebody @ Kawasaki took notice though Honda will discontinue the CB1100 this year.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts