Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

:oops: I WAS going to use the sub from an old powered speaker, but what I thought was the sub, wasn't.
What gets me is, the faux sub is only missing the magnet and voice coil

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
View attachment 285664
:oops: I WAS going to use the sub from an old powered speaker, but what I thought was the sub, wasn't.
What gets me is, the faux sub is only missing the magnet and voice coil View attachment 285665
I know very little about audio systems but looking at that pic I wonder does the faux speaker really have a purpose like maybe it acts as an amp for the smaller speaker by way of air and sound movement? I know it's a stretch but....

·
Registered
12,835 Posts
That is pretty weird. I have worked with a lot of different speakers and never saw that set up. It just may be another one of those hyped up Chinese audio system spec outputs of "10,000 watts of simulated power ".o_O

Actually it may act with a bass reflex cabinet chamber, but with that little speaker behind it can't be Carnegie Hall quality sound.
If you have ever heard those small Bose radios with a small plastic cabinet and bass response tubes, they are really cool.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
The little speaker is meant to drive the larger cone. Ive seen this done on much larger car audio sound competition boxes. Of course those boxes have about 10 cubic feet of air space and are being driven by 4 or 6 12 inch subs and the undriven cone is used as a sealed port.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Like Kris says.
Yes that is the way to get some more bass out of the smaller speaker with lower power consumption.
Back in my day it was referred to as a "Passive Radiator"
Not really a lie just a surprise, todays lies are Watts output and Harmonic Distortion specs.

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
Back in my day it was referred to as a "Passive Radiator"
Not really a lie just a surprise, todays lies are Watts output and Harmonic Distortion specs.
Same here. Have a set of Paradigms with passive radiators.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts