Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Under normal circumstances, I was wondering what is the lifespan, in miles, that a honda motor can attain? I have heard of bikes with well over 100k on them.

List:

a) your mileage
b) your oil of choice
c) any other factors you feel are important in extending the life of your ride

and, tell us about the mileage of bikes you may know of that have served their owners well.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
The most I have put on a bike was 137k miles. I used and still use Mobile 1 fully synthetic oil. I do my own maintenance and am fanatical about it. I make sure the oil is changed every 3-3.5k miles MAX. I am in the dealership at the first sign of an issue I don’t understand. The bike happened to be a Yamaha and it never sw rain, however, I would and do expect to exceed that mileage on my current Honda.

Cheers

Dragoon

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Different Honda motorcycle engines can very a lot as far as life span,
The Gold Wing engine will probably average more miles than the engine used on a VLX600.

So which engine do you have in mind??
MarkC

·
Registered
294 Posts
Bike: 2000 Honda Shadow ACE 750
Kms: 90,000 (not exactly, but in the 90's)

The only real work that was done to it (other then maintenance) is, New clutch, chain and sprockets, and Value adjustments. They are built pretty damn solid, Oh and I use Castrol oil.

·
Registered
542 Posts
My Valkyrie has over 70,000 on it. I have heard of another Valkyrie rider who has more than 300,000 on his. Don't know the history of it though. He is kind of a legend over at the VRCC site, goes by the handle of "DDT" I think.
By in large, the bigger the engine the better chance it has of lasting mega miles on a bike. Hondas of course stand the best chance of all! :lol:
Not that I'm biased in my thinking or anything!
[/img]

·
Registered
37 Posts
1984 Shadow VT700 - 50000 miles
Normal oil changes with Honda oil/filter
not sure of maintenance history prior to 30K....no current problems

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I've put 85000 miles on my 1993 ST1100. No problems at all. 8)

I've got nearly 1000 trouble free miles on my 2005 Spirit! :roll:

·
Registered
206 Posts
My 2002 honda shadow spirit 1100 has just shy of 50,000 miles. I have had absolutely no problems with the bike. I have changed front brake pads and tires. I replaced the front wheel bearings the last time I put a front tire on because I wanted to and not because I needed to. I ran Mobil one red cap the first 35,000 or so but when that dried up I started running shell rotella 15-40 dino oil and actually like it better, half the cost and works great. I have always used K mart oil filters and always will. $2.12 apiece what can you say. I do all my own maintenance including tires. I am pretty anal about keeping up with stuff and bought a manual with the bike. I also take care of the wifes ss750 with around 15000 miles on it and dito for remarks above. Change the oil keep tire pressure up and watch the chain. I checked the valves at 11,000 miles or so and found they were all pretty tight so don't let that go if your bike calls for valve adjustment. The dealer was supposed to have done it at 600 miles but I swear none of the nuts had ever been touched with a wrench,,,,,just another reason to do it youself if you can.
Jeff

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
the flat sixes and nearly indestructible many out there with over 300K my 1100 has just 50k and hasn't died yet.

oils to many to list or remember

nothing special as far maintenance or other care nothin just ride the crap out of it and put it up wet

·
Registered
7 Posts
90,500 miles with no major repairs as of yet. 1999 model. I bought it in 2001 w/4300 miles. Stator at 28000. Water pump at 32000(my fault:I broke off a bolt changing coolant). One speedo cable, two batteries, tires gas and oil. Yes they are bullet proof.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My mechanic told me that IF I changed my oil on a really regular basis along with an oil filter.....probably every 3 to 5 thousand kilometres which is rather an "overkill" then the motor should last a lifetime...............of course that also depends on many other factors such as a good cooling system, electrical and gas supply.
Sounds skeptical to say the least but I can understand that if the motor never has to run with any type of friction due to heat, metal shavings or dirt then it should never wear out.
Just my thoughts here......and my mechanic who is a clean freak
Krusty

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
96 1100 48,000 miles. Any good brand name oil made for bikes will work fine.

Maintain it right, change oil every 3k miles or more often, fix whatever may break, (which is not much), and it will last forever, literally.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Krusty said:
My mechanic told me that IF I changed my oil on a really regular basis along with an oil filter.....probably every 3 to 5 thousand kilometres which is rather an "overkill" then the motor should last a lifetime...............of course that also depends on many other factors such as a good cooling system, electrical and gas supply.
Sounds skeptical to say the least but I can understand that if the motor never has to run with any type of friction due to heat, metal shavings or dirt then it should never wear out.
Just my thoughts here......and my mechanic who is a clean freak
Krusty
A long life yes! but don't expect a life time from a V-twin, well unless you only put a couple of thousand miles a year on the bike and your gettting up in years yourself LOL.
They do wear.
bearings do go bad.
seals and O-rings give way to heat, cold, and age.
They are exceptions to the rules, but don't expect the exceptions, just feel blessed if you end up with one!
MarkC

·
Registered
932 Posts
Here are a couple more examples on ebay with "higher" mileage:

This is an 1100 Shadow being sold with over 97,000 miles. It looks like the seller describes any work they did on it, so it gives some ideas of things that could need work with that many miles:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Shadow-Spirit-VT1100-Exclnt-cond-new-eng-low-res_W0QQitemZ250085355740QQihZ015QQcategoryZ50008QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Another seller has an 1100 Shadow with 78,000 miles and also lists some things that have been replaced.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-HONDA-SHADOW-SPIRIT-1100-THIS-BIKE-IS-MINT_W0QQitemZ110091665435QQihZ001QQcategoryZ50008QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

As others have stated proper care is one of the best things we can do to prolong our bikes life as long as possible. I would add to that, not to abuse or misuse a bike. I have seen some regularly "burning rubber" (spinning the back tire) on other bikes, and I would guess that will hurt the lifespan of their bikes :cry:
Dave

1 - 16 of 16 Posts