Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 1983 Shadow 750, bike looks great, seems to run ok except i think the carbs need to be cleaned out. Question is... how hard or big a job is it to either adjust or change the lifters.

Now i am quite mechanically inclinded, mostly cars mind you. So what would the cost of these parts be if i did the work myself. Also the cost of a shop doing the same work.

Thank you
Rob

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Order this manual...

http://www.themotorbookstore.com/vt75019.html

Or look at this one online:

http://www.themotorbookstore.com/vt75019.html

(Hopefully the link will work, I can't get to it from work but it may be the firewall.)

It will give good detail on the process. It involves removing the valve covers and spinning the motor to the indicated spot and checking the clearence on the lifters...then rotating the motor some more to the next spot. There is an access port in the side of the motor case so you can spin the motor and another port to see the timing mark.

The only thing you might need is gasket material or one of the silicones, but it sounds like you may already have experience with that.

I hope this helps out a little. Sorry I can't help out more.

·
Registered
46 Posts
shadowlvr said:
Just picked up a 1983 Shadow 750, bike looks great, seems to run ok except i think the carbs need to be cleaned out. Question is... how hard or big a job is it to either adjust or change the lifters.

Now i am quite mechanically inclinded, mostly cars mind you. So what would the cost of these parts be if i did the work myself. Also the cost of a shop doing the same work.

Thank you
Rob
Greetings Rob, I can answer your question having just done exactly that this past summer to my mighty 1983 Shadow 750. The man who answered that the lifters can be adjusted was mistaken. The mighty Shadow has hydraulic lifters and can only be replaced if they fail, there are NO adjustments. I replaced the lifters in one head after a mechanic failed to shim them properly after a top-end and new rings and pistons job. The engine also leaked oil from the camchain cover.
It was ALOT of work to replace the lifters. The engine must come out of the frame. No special tools were required beyond a torque wrench. If you replace the lifters you will need a dial indicator to assure that it is shimmed to the proper the height. They will also need to be bled prior to installation. I recommend installing heli-coil inserts in the tapped holes of the engine while it is apart. Good luck. It was ALOT of work but I acquired an intimate knowledge in the workings and needs of my bike that has its own rewards. It is like a brand new 1983 Shadow with 8000 miles on it...except it will not run in third gear going north with an east wind blowing. Th engine will stumble.
Check your frame for rust. Look under the covers at the pivot bolts. The frames rust from the inside out. It may LOOK good but if you poke it you may find that it is rusted badly. I also replaced my frame for rust and the replacement was rusted as well. The third frame, the one on my bike....it's rusted too but I drilled drain holes and hope to control it.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Steve157 said:
shadowlvr said:

Thank you
Rob
Greetings Rob, I can answer your question having just done exactly that this past summer to my mighty 1983 Shadow 750. The man who answered that the lifters can be adjusted was mistaken. The mighty Shadow has hydraulic lifters and can only be replaced if they fail, there are NO adjustments. I replaced the lifters in one head after a mechanic failed to shim them properly after a top-end and new rings and pistons job. The engine also leaked oil from the camchain cover.
It was ALOT of work to replace the lifters. The engine must come out of the frame. No special tools were required beyond a torque wrench. If you replace the lifters you will need a dial indicator to assure that it is shimmed to the proper the height. They will also need to be bled prior to installation. I recommend installing heli-coil inserts in the tapped holes of the engine while it is apart. Good luck. It was ALOT of work but I acquired an intimate knowledge in the workings and needs of my bike that has its own rewards. It is like a brand new 1983 Shadow with 8000 miles on it...except it will not run in third gear going north with an east wind blowing. Th engine will stumble.
Check your frame for rust. Look under the covers at the pivot bolts. The frames rust from the inside out. It may LOOK good but if you poke it you may find that it is rusted badly. I also replaced my frame for rust and the replacement was rusted as well. The third frame, the one on my bike....it's rusted too but I drilled drain holes and hope to control it.
Well, then disregard what I typed. I was making an assumption that the older 750s had solid lifters like the newer ones had. My bad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts