Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i been trawling through the search forum thingy, but cant find anything on the question i like an answer to.

I want to fit a light bar to my 2014 shadow black spirit. thing is i want to run the extra lights together with the headlamp when that comes on,

I intend to run them with same wattage bulbs as the headlamp,

can i wire these direct to the headlamp circuit, or would i have to wire them in separately? what i don't want is to clutter the bars with switches that look out of place, or could i put a relay into the light circuit, inside the lamp shell.

Thanks

·
Registered
163 Posts
As long as the lights are wired up in parallel then yea you can wire them in to come on with your headlight. Each load on a parallel circuit receives the same voltage and current from the power source. Just make sure to use good automotive splices or a nice properly soldered connection. As for a relay, yes. I think a relay is a must when we are talking about bright lights like this.

I agree adding switches can get a little cluttered not to mention the added wire you would have to run.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As long as the lights are wired up in parallel then yea you can wire them in to come on with your headlight. Each load on a parallel circuit receives the same voltage and current from the power source. Just make sure to use good automotive splices or a nice properly soldered connection. As for a relay, yes. I think a relay is a must when we are talking about bright lights like this.

I agree adding switches can get a little cluttered not to mention the added wire you would have to run.
Thanks mate, so for an idiots guide :D I would take a live and Nuetral wire from each lamp, and splice them into the live and Neutral wires to the headlamp.. electrics not my good point :D:D

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thanks mate, so for an idiots guide :D I would take a live and Nuetral wire from each lamp, and splice them into the live and Neutral wires to the headlamp.. electrics not my good point :D:D

ThAts pretty much it. And it will be already in line with the fuse for the headlight so your good there. Just splice them in and throw a relay on and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been thinking about alternative lighting sources as well. Can I ask what led light bar you're putting on? What size and where you are going to put it? I ride a lot where/when there isn't any traffic on the roads and thought a light bar would be a quick easy fix for a lot of light at little cost and modification.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Agree with Harryc re: LED's, but not sure the OP meant to use LED's.

IMO: Installing 3 lights "with same wattage bulbs as the headlamp" is gonna be a LOAD on your charging system.

Stock headlamp + added lightbar w/ 2 LED auxilliary lights/ driving lights is much more doable.

Relays? Yes, most assuredly, because those (plural) will save your headlight switch.

Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
I agree with Gnarly. Having the headlight and highway lights on at the same time will will challenge your battery and charging system especially at idle. Mine are wired so that when I use the headlight hi-beam it cuts off the highway lights to reduce the load. That's the way it came when I bought the bike.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The relay or relays, will take most of the load off of your charging system as a relay is made to use a small amount of current to control a larger amount. The battery only has to work hard enough to energize a coil within the relay which is easier then the battery having to power on the lights directly. LEDs will pull a considerably smaller amount of current then a halogen and outlast it 10 to 1.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
The relay or relays, will take most of the load off of your charging system as a relay is made to use a small amount of current to control a larger amount. The battery only has to work hard enough to energize a coil within the relay which is easier then the battery having to power on the lights directly. LEDs will pull a considerably smaller amount of current then a halogen and outlast it 10 to 1.
Thats not correct. You battery still has to power the load. The relay will just act as a switch. That way that extra load is not going through your headlight switch, which will more than likely burn it up. Your headlight switch will activate the relay which will switch on the light bar.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thats not correct. You battery still has to power the load. The relay will just act as a switch. That way that extra load is not going through your headlight switch, which will more than likely burn it up. Your headlight switch will activate the relay which will switch on the light bar.

You're right I'm still trying to get the hang of things in my auto tech class. Instructors have been roasting my brain with basic electronics for 2 weeks. So to the OP, yes use a relay to save your headlight switch. Relays are considered heavy duty switches that require voltage to actuate.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Hi guys, i been trawling through the search forum thingy, but cant find anything on the question i like an answer to.

I want to fit a light bar to my 2014 shadow black spirit. thing is i want to run the extra lights together with the headlamp when that comes on,

I intend to run them with same wattage bulbs as the headlamp,

can i wire these direct to the headlamp circuit, or would i have to wire them in separately? what i don't want is to clutter the bars with switches that look out of place, or could i put a relay into the light circuit, inside the lamp shell.

Thanks
Good luck trying to run auxiliary lights with the same wattage along with your headlight. Running 3 55/60 Watts bulb at the same time is not recommended. Don't be surprised if your bike just quits if you do most of your commuting in the city. Do a little research before you decide to this anyway.

·
Registered
11,695 Posts
That is not what a relay does. The lights will still put a load on the battery and charging system., relay or no relay. What a relay will do is take load off the contact on the start switch and run them straight off the battery.

·
Registered
163 Posts
That is not what a relay does. The lights will still put a load on the battery and charging system., relay or no relay. What a relay will do is take load off the contact on the start switch and run them straight off the battery.
As I said I was mistaken im still trying to get this whole electrical theory down. I got a little over zealous.

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
7,011 Posts

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,100 Posts
Welcome

You Definitely need a relay for power...
I`m surprised nobody has mentioned Gonzos wire harness yet... :D

Our starter "button"/switch is vulnerable enough, without adding extra load...
Just my $.02

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.